RRAS connections on different subnets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRAS connections on different subnets

I need to give out a whole lotta IP addresses to remote users. So I've made all of 10.34.224.0 usable and created a static pool to be given out by the RRAS server that has an address of 10.34.225.10.

I have tested external access and I do indeed receive a viable 10.34.224.0 address BUT I cannot access anything on the 10.34.225.0 network.

There is only one NIC in this server and our hardware firewall/gateway, 10.34.225.1, is not accessible by me.

Is there any static route I can setup on a single NIC RRAS server that will allow incoming VPN traffic (10.34.224.0) to talk to devices on a different subnet (10.34.225.0)?

Oh yeah, and how would I do it if so?

Thanks!

Re: RRAS connections on different subnets

You need to enable the LAN routing option on the properties of the RRAS server. If memory serves, it's on the general properties page.

Comment

That has been done, sir.

Comment

Is the VPN client configured to use the remote gateway? What subnet mask is in use? Can you tracert from a VPN client to the 10.34.225.0 network?

Comment

I am not using the default gateway option on the clients, or rather I'd hope I don't have to.

Both subnets have the standard 255.255.255.0.

I did run the tracert from a test system. The first hop timed out and the second went right to the RRAS server.

Here is the ipconfig information.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.34.224.2
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.34.225.10

The gateway is the key here, and it needs to be 10.34.225.1 I suppose.

Comment

Did the tracert die at the VPN server? Were you tracing to a host on the 10.34.225.0 network? If so, then I think the gateway setting is the key. Since the LAN is a different subnet then the VPN connection the only way to get there is via a gateway (router) and if the client isn't using the remote gateway then maybe that's the reason.

Comment

I was just thinking, so watch out!

If I were to add an additional IP address to this server say, 10.34.224.10, then that may very well take care of the issue since it will now talk to both subnets.

The tracert did indeed die at the VPN server address.

Right, and what I need too know is if it's possible to create a static route within RRAS to bridge these subnets, so incoming .224 connections are given .225.1 or .225.10 as their gateway.

Comment

The additional IP did not help.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. The additional IP did exactly what I needed. I can now RDP into a .225 system with a .224 RRAS address.

Thanks for the input Joe.
                Last edited by Rylando; 24th February 2011, 21:31. Reason: Doh

Comment

Working...
                X