Server to BT Exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server to BT Exchange

I understand there appears to be some secrecy as to what method is used to transfer Broadband from the server often at 20 Mbps to local BT Exchanges. For example I find my server Orange is located in Maidstone 50 miles away from my local exchange in Hastings ,and I am then located 1.7 Miles from the exchange.

But is the server likely to be using fiber optic cable to transfer the data to my BT Exchange or some sort of Wireless link?

Re: Server to BT Exchange

Probably a fibre backbone, shared by all ISPs with clients on your exchange, and probably a lot faster than 20 Mbps.

Out of curiosity, why does it matter?

If you do a tracert command to your ISPs DNS server, you will get an idea of the path your traffic takes.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I was just curious while talking to local HAMS. How do I run a tracert command to my ISPs DNS server?

Comment

Go to your ISPs website and find the address of their DNS server (or mail server, or any other advertised server)

On your PC, run a command prompt and enter TRACERT <name or IP of server>
        This will give the path to get there.

For example, to my ISP (plus.net) gives something like this

C:\Windows\system32>TRACERT 212.159.13.49

Tracing route to cdns01.plus.net [212.159.13.49]
        over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.254
        2 63 ms 63 ms 65 ms lo0-central3.pcl-ag06.plus.net [195.166.130.48]

3 172 ms 62 ms 62 ms gi7-7-631.pcl-gw01.plus.net [84.93.254.145]
        4 62 ms 62 ms 62 ms vl63.pcl-lb01.plus.net [212.159.2.252]
        5 61 ms 63 ms 71 ms cdns01.plus.net [212.159.13.49]

Trace complete.
        There are graphical tools to find where the IP addresses actually are
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X