Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

out of IP address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • out of IP address

    Hello Team,

    I'm about to run out of my address on my subnet. we have class C network. which is 192.168.100.xxx

    I want to separate my networ to the following:

    DHCP1 -> All my servers/network switch/desktop will be 192.168.100.xxx
    DHCP 2 ->All of the Printers/Wireless network will be on 192.168.101.xxx

    Where do I start from here?
    I have Netgear Switches.. can it be vlan between the subnet?

    What is the best way to expand IP?

    Thanks,
    HN

  • #2
    Re: out of IP address

    You can't use multiple subnets without routers, as the Default Gateway for one subnet has to know how to get to the other subnet. You could however change your subnet mask, to either a class B or somewhere inbetween B and C to get more IPs.

    If you can post more details on your network setup that would help though.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: out of IP address

      hmmm.. changing subnet mask? is that posible?

      as we know.. The class C is limited to 254 IPs. Our network growing so big that we are going to run out IP soon.. I have to clean up DHCP manually once in awhile to clearn up the IP.

      so our initial thought was: let vlan the print and wireless laptop to a different subnet so we can expand our network. but I dont really understand how VLan works.

      my current subnet is 255.255.255.0, can I change it to 255.255.0.0 but without changing IP class? because most of our apps and hard are configure with 192.168.100.xxx

      I appreciate any advice I can get.

      Thanks,
      HN




      Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      You can't use multiple subnets without routers, as the Default Gateway for one subnet has to know how to get to the other subnet. You could however change your subnet mask, to either a class B or somewhere inbetween B and C to get more IPs.

      If you can post more details on your network setup that would help though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: out of IP address

        CIDR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classle...Domain_Routing

        All you need to do is change the subnet mask from 24 bit to a 23 bit: 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0 This will give you 512 host IPs.
        You IP range would then be 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.101.254 . Simple eh. You only need to change the 3rd Octec on any devices that have a static IP. DHCP will do the rest. Network printers can be easily done if configured by DHCP Reservations.

        http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

        If you change the Mask to 22 bits then you could have a split DHCP for redundancy purposes and have 512 hosts in each DHCP Server. Have a play with the subnet calculator at the above link and see what you need.

        Post back if you have any questions. Also, do NOT forget to document any changes that are made.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: out of IP address

          I love this ..
          Im getting ready to rebuild my VMware environment.. I will set up a test environment and play with it.
          but I already love the idea of 512 hosts

          on the other note, Can I can leave 192.168.100.xxx for manual IPs configuration, ie. servers, routers, and other hardware devices. and use 192.168.101.xxx for DHPC server lease it to the other clients like desktops, laptops, mobile phone?

          Thanks,
          HN

          Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          CIDR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classle...Domain_Routing

          All you need to do is change the subnet mask from 24 bit to a 23 bit: 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0 This will give you 512 host IPs.
          You IP range would then be 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.101.254 . Simple eh. You only need to change the 3rd Octec on any devices that have a static IP. DHCP will do the rest. Network printers can be easily done if configured by DHCP Reservations.

          http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

          If you change the Mask to 22 bits then you could have a split DHCP for redundancy purposes and have 512 hosts in each DHCP Server. Have a play with the subnet calculator at the above link and see what you need.

          Post back if you have any questions. Also, do NOT forget to document any changes that are made.
          Last edited by Humannetwork; 17th January 2011, 12:50.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: out of IP address

            Yes -- but the subnet masks on both will need changing so e.g. servers can see clients
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: out of IP address

              very interesting concept...
              If I understand you guys correctly.. I all I have to do is the change the subnet 255.255.254.0 and both subnets will see each other without any other routing..

              Thanks,
              HN

              Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Yes -- but the subnet masks on both will need changing so e.g. servers can see clients

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: out of IP address

                Yes and no.

                Yes, a 192.168.100.* item will be able to see a 192.168.101.* item and vice versa.
                No, there's not two subnets, only one.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: out of IP address

                  What Wired said.

                  Although 192.168.x.x is a Class C address range, the entire 192.168.x.x subnet is a private range, so you could in theory use a mask of 255.255.0.0 and have the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254 without having any routable addresses on internal clients.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: out of IP address

                    After I got my testing lab up and running this afternoon and testing the method that Cruachan,Biggles77,Wired and Ossian were giving to me in this post and it work as expected.

                    I appreciated all the advise.

                    Thanks,
                    HN

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: out of IP address

                      Originally posted by Humannetwork View Post
                      After I got my testing lab up and running this afternoon and testing the method that Cruachan, Biggles77, Wired and Ossian were giving to me in this post and it work as expected.

                      I appreciated all the advise.

                      Thanks,
                      HN
                      Why didn't I get mentioned first? After all, B does come before C! Don't worry about the others (except Wired because his title also starts with an A. Howerever alphabetically, Administrator Biggles77 is before Administrator Wired )
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: out of IP address

                        Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Why didn't I get mentioned first? After all, B does come before C! Don't worry about the others (except Wired because his title also starts with an A. Howerever alphabetically, Administrator Biggles77 is before Administrator Wired )
                        Funny.. you know you are hold Admin title.. Admin usually get blame not get credits

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: out of IP address

                          Ok funny man, just don't move for a few seconds. Smile Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun09.gif
Views:	3
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	464721

                          How are you going playing with the CIDR?
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: out of IP address

                            This is how I want to do it, please advise if it's not making any sense to you.

                            on my 192.168.100.xxx subnet will resevers for servers/switch/router anything that for network administrator.
                            IP: 192.168.100.xxx
                            Sub: 255.255.254.1
                            Gat: 192.168.100.1
                            DNS: 192.168.100.10

                            I will release to all the workstations/laptops/printer by using DHCP.
                            IP: 192.168.101.xxx
                            Sub:255.255.255.0
                            Gat: 192.168.100.1
                            DNS: 192.168.100.10

                            is that work? I was testing in my lab lastnight and both subnet were be able to communicate with each other.

                            Thanks,
                            HN

                            Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Ok funny man, just don't move for a few seconds. Smile [ATTACH]4549[/ATTACH]

                            How are you going playing with the CIDR?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: out of IP address

                              255.255.254.0 (no 1 at the end)
                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X