Permanenty active Routers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanenty active Routers

A certain UK Server has informed me and a friend that the only way to ensure the best connection speed using their ADSL2+ Broadband is to leave a router permanently powered on for at least 10 days. Apart from the risk always a fire hazard of keeping any equipment plugged into the mains for long periods unattended, is this really necessary?

My old USB Speedtouch is only powered on from the PC for a few hours a day when I switch on the PC. But since a kind BT engineer spend some time here making some changes after curing noise on the line, unlike before the speed now always remains fixed at the same speed. Although the server sometimes cuts me off if my Broadband is unused for awhile.

Gordon

Re: Permanenty active Routers

ADSLMax (Rate Adaptive broadband) does periodically "tune" the connection and needs to be on constantly for the first few days at least. If you turn it off, it goes back to the start (a lower speed) and then starts re-trying higher ones.

Most people leave routers on 24/7 without too many bursting into flame
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      ADSLMax (Rate Adaptive broadband) does periodically "tune" the connection and needs to be on constantly for the first few days at least. If you turn it off, it goes back to the start (a lower speed) and then starts re-trying higher ones.

Most people leave routers on 24/7 without too many bursting into flame

I agree. The router is as likely to catch fire as your alarm clock, television, or any other electrical appliance, which is not very likely.

Comment

Mine (a BT Home Hub), is on 24/7 and only gets slightly warm. No fire risk.

Which provider do you use? How long before you are disconnected?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Mine is also running 24/7. If I would shut down my ADSL my VIOP connection also shuts down. Most people leave their ADSL routers on for years on end. I have never heard of burning routers.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

My server is Orange, and I sometimes get discnnected if idle for say about 5 mintes.

I could be paying £2 pm less for a later dreamed up package of theirs. But as my old contract expired over a year ago, at my age I prefer the security of being able to cancel anytime rather than get trapped in a 12 or 18 month new contract.

There would be very little advantage in a new contact and with my phone line and NO increase in speed of connection.

Comment

Your router should have a "keep alive" setting that should prevent time outs
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have to say though I am sure you are correct as the email from anther server confirmed, it is advisable to keep a router permanently on, I know of no other ordinary ‘ Home user ‘ willing to do so. This is especially with today’s ‘ eco ‘ trend to try to do everything to reduce power bills.

Also I have heard of instances such as PCs catching fire after being left unattended.

Comment

PCs are not routers...
                  Yes, any unmaintained electrical equipment can catch fire, but most doesnt. I have some PCs that have been on permanently for the last few years and my house is still standing

As for the "eco" trend, just turn your heating down slightly to compensate for the few watts the PSU produces
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

There is something up with your router if this is a common occurrence. I presume you are using an orange box, supplied by Orange. This should be pre-configured and just work.

Are you using a wired connection or wireless?

With regards to PC's catching fire - it is recommended that you maintain the hardware in a clean state by regularly using compressed air to clean the inside of a machine, removing dust bunnies and any other undesirable materials. This greatly reduces the chance of a fire being caused. Also, fans should be configured to keep the PC at a reasonable temperature.

Comment

I am not really concerned if Orange sometimes disconnects me such as if busy, especially as I never like to be online for long periods if not active.

But for your interest, as I posted earlier here, since I have not upgraded I do not qualify for an Orange fancy new Livebox router. So I am still using an old SpeedTouch 330 USB originally supplied by Wanadoo. Also thanks to the attention of a kind BT engineer after curing line noise, my slow speed of merely 2.2 Mbps NEVER now varies, and I never need to keep it powered until needed.

I do have a new Edimax router. But like thousands of others, what would be the point of all the hassle of installing it if my phone is too far away from the Exchange to get any faster connection. Also it could be years before Fibre optic cable is installed in such places as here in old Hastings?

Comment

Sorry - should have seen that (twice...).

Your Edimax router will presumably function better than your USB Speedtouch, yes?

How long would it take you to configure it? If I was in your position I would go ahead and install it.

Will your new router also use a RJ45 cable or would you use (slower) wireless?

Comment

I might try installing the Edimax later on in the year, but I am very skeptical as to whether it will result in an noticeable increase in speed due to the length of my lines, and the fact that Orange do not have ADSL2+ installed here.

Even if ADSL2+ plus was installed or I changed to another such server, I would never be willing to leave any router on unattended permanently.

As I only have one PC I would use the LAN cable.

Comment

It will not result in faster Internet upload/download speeds, but I expect it will go a long way to eliminating your disconnection problem, perhaps resolving it completely.

Comment

The only modem I would be cautious about leaving running unattended was a Seimens 4200 and that was only if the ambient temps were 30°C and above. Those suckers got very hot. As for anything else, I haven't found any that scare me like the 4200.

I had a greyware workstation that ran 24/7 for 5 years (except during 2 power failures). The modem, router, 24 port gigabit switch, 2 x WAPs and 8 port KVM plus the server all run 24/7. Damn, forgot the printers that run in standy.

Had the eco morons (and I believe in Global Warming) go round the schools telling the staff and student to turn lights and PCs off when they had finished with them. This meant I had to boot every PC that I need to work on and student class time was reduced as they waited for the old slow machines to boot. It also increased thermal shock on the machine due to the 5 plus power cycles each day. (A student would powe off the PC and a student in the same class would have to powe the bloody thing up. It got stupid).

Eco morons should be electrocuted!! According to them everything should be turned off at the wall. It is a pain in the bum having to continually reset device clock times when one does that PLUS all my power points are hidden and are hard to reach. So stuff them!!

Gordon if you don't want to leave your modem on, that is obviously your choice but I am a bit confused because research shows that this SpeedTouch 330 USB modem does not have a power adapter. It all runs from the USB port on your computer (desktop, laptop, notebook or netbook). My personal experience with USB modems, both dialup and broadband, lead me to believe they don't have the same connection speed or throughput as real modems.

If you still have the install CD for this modem, have a read of the manual as I think there was a setting in the modem that had a 5 minute inactivity disconnect setting. Might be worth a look if you have some time to spare. Don't read the manual but search the PDF file for disconnect, inactivity, time out or a similar phrase.

Finally, a bit and will probabaly reinforce Gordon's reason for turning devices off, but about 12 years ago I got a call from my tech manager. It appeared that the firewall in a Catholic Education Office had, well, caught fire. He didn't understand why I went hysterical with laughter but for some reason I got an image of Moses and the (talking) burning bush in my head and just lost it. It seems so appropriate considering the location. Click image for larger version

Name:	volcano_erupting.gif
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	464719

Sorry but it is the closest smilie I have to a burning bush.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X