Setting up a network with three routers/gateways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a network with three routers/gateways

I'm not sure if this explanation will make sense, but I'll try anyway...

A client of mine who runs a car dealership has three Internet Connections - for ease of identification I'll call them Dealer1, Dealer2, and Personal.

Now they work all perfectly fine on their own as stand-alone networks but the client wants them all to work on the one so that no matter what PC he is on in the network has can access all three networks without having to change settings.

EG: a Dealer1 website will go to the Dealer1 connection, a Dealer2 website will go to the Dealer2 connection and everything else will got to the Personal connection.

Now my first thought was something along the lines of a multiple WAN router, but after speaking with NETGEAR and Draytec, their products can't do what I need.

So my current thinking is a linux box with four NICs (three for the modems, one for the internal network) and have it setup as a proxy of some kind that has a list and sends it to the correct gateway.

My next problem is I'm not all that crash hot on linux, so I'm not sure if this makes sense or if there is an easier way to do what the client needs. Any notes or suggestions would be greatful.

Re: Setting up a network with three routers/gateways

you need policy routing.

A fortigate firewall with multiple wan connections can do this.

basically - you want to route based on destination.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

So rather than the setup I put forward, would it be an easier solution to find a 3/4 port WAN router and get it to route via destination?

This was my first thought but as I mentioned when I spoke with NETGEAR and Draytec that even thought they could do routing, there would be now way to distinguish between WAN interfaces. If these Fortigate solutions will do the trick rather than producing a Linux box I'm all for it. I will contact their Australia office later today and find out if they even offer a 3 WAN box.

THanks for the reply and I will let you know what I find out.

Comment

Just to give you guys an update and after speaking to Fortinet it seems that if I get a FG-FW60C and re-assign the DMZ port as a thrid WAN port it will solve my problems.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Ken. Appreciated!
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X