ADSL2+ faster Broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL2+ faster Broadband

How can I tell if the slightly faster ADSL+ has been installed in my local BT Exchanges, without asking my server who might insist I upgrades to a new contract.? Since my router states it can handle ADSL2+ if I installed it would it automatically show a faster speed?

Thanks

Re: ADSL2+ faster Broadband

The ISP controls the speed. So even if all of the hardware that is in place supports the upgraded speed, you won't get it unless you pay for it.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks so rather than get trapped in another 12 - 18 months contract I will probably change to Plusnet which does not appear to charge any more for fast Broadband. Likewise a pal in Eastbourne gets 17 Mbps not paying Sky any extra.

Comment

Plusnet also have a damn good (and UK based) support team who will talk teccy to you when required and don't work off a script. A good choice, IMHO
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again. I will give Orange a ring first to see if they want to sting me for more or trap me in another contract.

But forgive my ignorance, does ADSL2+ only work where some of the cables have been changed to fibre optic. There is on old site wiith missing links at below that appears to state it is only avaiable to some users.

http://www.eastsussexhub.co.uk/news/...-Hastings/293/

Comment

Hey Gordon, have a look at the following link to give you an idea of what speeds you may get depending on the distance you are from the exchange. http://www.internode.on.net/resident...e/performance/

This distance is NOT line ofsight but actual cable length. Eg, I am 1.5km line of site from my exchange but actual cable length is 2,175mts. (Had a mate who had the telco maps and we added the lengths together). My connection speed varies from 11 to 13meg but I get 1.22m/sec download when sucking from Microsoft with a single connection.

You can check you modem for to give you an indication of your actual distance from the exchange. That should give you an indication of what your speeds should be.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	adsl2-attenuation.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	464690
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As the saying goes ' the proof is in the pudding ' So I phoned my server who I will not mention, to asked to have my line tested for ADSL2+ and Fibre optics, having left the PC online. After numerous options I got a Indian gent I could hardly hear probabaly in India who did not understand what I was asking.

So I phoned Plusnet to soon get nice lady from the north, who tested my line and was honest enough to assure me nothing a present coudl be done to improve my speed.

So it looks as if only local businesses close to the Exchange can get the faster Broadband if they pay a lot.

Comment

Don't know about the rest of the world but here in OZ & NZ, ADSL could be connected at a variety of speeds. 256K, 512k, 1.5m and eventually 8m. Upload speeds also varied acccording to your connection. However, ADSL2+ had a single connection and the speed varied according to your cable distance from the Exchange. Within 800mts 22meg was fairly normal and as the chart linked to above shows, the speed decreased as the cable distance increased.

Now a large telco is trialing 100meg on co-ax. Nice if you have it running past your house, which I don't. The Govt however has been a bit foresighted for a change and it rolling out FTTH. This means in a few years I will have a nice bit of very high quality and a very thin piece of plastic terminating at my door. YIPEE!! I just hope the connections are SDSL and not ADSL. The speed is supposed to be 100meg (again YIPPEE) BUT, it has to be remembered that whatever your ISP conection speed is, you can only connect to web site as fast as THEY will allow. Eg. I have a brand name laptop site that gives me a 5-7k/sec download speed when trying to get their drivers. Bloody frustrating!!. (I used to get 5.5k/sec on dialup )

Gordon you need to try and find out what your cable distance is from your Exchange. This will then give you an indication od what your ADSL2+ connection speed may be. I have a friend who had an 8mb ADSL connection and "upgraded to ADSL2+ thinking he was getting a big speed boost. Unfortunately his cable distance meant his connection speed stayed about the same. He did have a win because the ADSL2+ plan was cheaper than the ADSL one.
                Last edited by biggles77; 21st December 2010, 08:36.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php is a really good site for checking what's available to you. Pop in your postcode and it'll show you distance from the exchange, what services are available at that exchange and from what ISPs and what speeds you can expect to get.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Only issue I have with these site showing distances from the Exchanges is they don't show the cable distances. I know of one person who was about 1.5km from the Exchange (if you drove it on a road) but was 7km cable distance because of they way they run them. His neighbour across the street could get ADSL but he couldn't. He was not a happy camper.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah, they aren't 100% accurate but still give a good idea of what's available in your area. I think just as much of an issue would be the age of the wiring inbetween you and the exchange, given that so many of them were probably installed long before ADSL was thought of. I'm only 2km from my exchange and have a 24mbps ADSL2+ connection, but actually get ~17.5mbps sync speed from the modem.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Also, remember that alot of outer exchanges in AUS can not be converted to ADSL 2, and if your on a RIM exchange, I believe the only option you ahve it to try and get moved to a new Exchange.

It also has alot to do with the equitment in the racks at the exchange, if all the ADSL 2 ports are taken, then you only have the option of ADSL 1, and although all the sites will tell you that you can get it, you will have to wait in a line till someone disconnects from the exchange.

But to answer the OP, No such thing as a free lunch, if you want ADSL 2, you will ahve to pay for it, or Spoof the MAC of someones Router who has ADSL 2, be on the same Router at the exchagne, and know there username and password.

So... the easiest option is to call your ISP and ask them.
                        They can not FORCE you to give them more money, they can not change your contract (the whole point of a contract), or your service (as thats part of your contract). So I am alittle bemused as to why you will not simply call the ISP and ask them, They are the only people who can give you a correct answer.

Also, I do believe that most ISP (and it might also fall under law) that if you upgrade your service, but do not actuly get a increase in speed, you call retracte it within 30 days free of charge. I would confirm that with the ISP, but I know for a fact that telstra will allow you to have a 2nd line free of charge while you test a new connection... actuly, you can get 3, beucse if there is a problem you can also request a Nextg Connection.

This is of coruse if your a business with a business plan.

Wofen
                        Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                        X