DSL Broadband Speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Broadband Speed

My server claims my current old package is Home Starter - 12.00 a month, up to 2 Meg speed, Modem, 6GB usage allowance and inclusive evening and weekend landline telephone calls.

How can they control the effective speed of the Broadband, when I understand like others they initially pump it down they line at 20 Mbps, and it is then attenuated by phone lines to in my case to 2.2 Mbpsm with tests showing it can never be faster than 2.5 Mbps.

Is it not in fact the old Speedtouch USB modem they supplied years ago that imposes a limit of around 2Mbps. So if Fibre optic cables are ever installed here and I use a new Edimax modem I bought, I would see a considerable increase in speed irrespective of what package I am using?

Re: Broadband Speed

2MB is the limitation of copper. Unless the exchange is unbundled you wont get any faster speeds irrespective of whatever modem you use as the "cabling" isn't capable of of anything faster. This is a natural limitation of phone lines as they were not designed for high bandwidth signalling. The modem itself is only there to modulate and demodulate the signal. The speed is determined by a number of factors. Cabling, DSLAM, network, architecture, contention/attenuation etc.
    Its unlikely you'll get fibre to your door either. I dont know any UK ISP's that provide that as a retail service. If you do have Virgin in your area though try and go with them. As their network is much faster and superior to BT's who are still rolling out 21CN. Virgin already have a mix of fibre and coax in their network which allows them to provide much faster speeds than the BT equivalent.

Comment

Thanks. So the server has NO control whatsover on what speed you get as an individual, and therefore is no point in paying more for any package. The server can only contrrol amount of usage allowed.

Also there is no point in using a Modem / Router capable of handling much faster speeds if your phone lines like mine are incapable of allowing faster speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
        Thanks. So the server has NO control whatsover on what speed you get as an individual, and therefore is no point in paying more for any package. The server can only contrrol amount of usage allowed.

Also there is no point in using a Modem / Router capable of handling much faster speeds if your phone lines like mine are incapable of allowing faster speeds.
        You would need to confirm that with your ISP. If they advised you that the cabling in your area is not capable of more than 2MB than of course that is your limit irrespective of whatever modem or additional kit you add to your network.

Comment

Thanks that is exactly what Orange and test sites confirmed below:-

We've checked out your line and your estimated speed is 2.5 Meg.
          Last edited by GordonSweet; 12th December 2010, 11:22.

Comment

2mb is not the limit of copper, if it was ADSL2+ would never have got off the ground. ADSL's speed limit is theoretically around 24mbps but is rarely achievable due to drop offs in speed the further you are from an exchange and the quality of the copper in telephone lines that were installed way before ADSL.

I get ~17mbps with my current ISP, I was previously with Demon and got 8mbps as that was the limit of the service I had with them. I don't know how they set the limit though. Most ISP's who use LLU still require a BT phoneline, as only the broadband services and not the telephone services are unbundled from BT.

If your ISP has upgraded your service to ADSL2+ and you are still using an old ADSL modem you will never get speeds above 8-12mbps, depending on the ADSL standard current when your modem was manufactured. Even if you do have ADSL2+ and you live a long way from an exchange, or at one with high contention levels, you will never get good speeds. Sam Knows is a good UK site to check how far you are from the exchange, available ISPs and maximum speeds.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              2mb is not the limit of copper, if it was ADSL2+ would never have got off the ground. ADSL's speed limit is theoretically around 24mbps but is rarely achievable due to drop offs in speed the further you are from an exchange and the quality of the copper in telephone lines that were installed way before ADSL.

I get ~17mbps with my current ISP, I was previously with Demon and got 8mbps as that was the limit of the service I had with them. I don't know how they set the limit though. Most ISP's who use LLU still require a BT phoneline, as only the broadband services and not the telephone services are unbundled from BT.

If your ISP has upgraded your service to ADSL2+ and you are still using an old ADSL modem you will never get speeds above 8-12mbps, depending on the ADSL standard current when your modem was manufactured. Even if you do have ADSL2+ and you live a long way from an exchange, or at one with high contention levels, you will never get good speeds. Sam Knows is a good UK site to check how far you are from the exchange, available ISPs and maximum speeds.
              Thats because your local exchange is unbundled. This bypasses BT's network and connects you directly to the Telco. And you need an ADSL2 modem in order to connect to an ADSL2 line. ADSL modems cannot demodulate ADSL2 signals.
              The IP profile/operating config that determines your lines sync speed is set at the DSLAM.
              And you will always require a BT phoneline in the UK for ADSL lines. BT acts a wholesaler and resells the lines because of our deregulation laws. Theres very few that operate with Virgin. The ones that do are primarily owned by Virgin and operate under the same umbrella company.

Comment

Working...
              X