VLANs on an RV082 router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLANs on an RV082 router

I need a solution to provide 'guest' internet access to people who come in and want to use their laptops on our network. We have an RV082 router which offers port based VLAN. I switched one of our ports (port 8 ) to VLAN2. I then plugged our WAP (Wireless Access Point) into that specific port. I am unable to get an IP address assigned through DHCP which I assume is because my DHCP/DNS server is a windows box on VLAN1. How can I resolve this? Can I turn on DHCP on the router? Will that conflict with my sbs 2003 box as a DHCP/DNS server?
    Last edited by biggles77; 1st December 2010, 13:34. Reason: Fix smilie issue 8)

Re: VLANs on an RV082 router

To use the Windows DHCP Server for this scope, the router that routes the trafic between the two VLANs need to function as a DHCP Relay. To find some basic infos about this function, you mai take a look on this document

Comment

I am currently revisiting this subject and have to get something up and running soon as they want the people taking classes at our facility to be able to use our wireless internet. I tried using the DHCP relay option in the RV082 web interface and putting the ip address of our windows box in there. I still can't get a device to obtain an ip address. Do I need to set up a DHCP relay agent on the server as well?

Comment

If the router is the only connection between the DHCP server and the DHCP clients then the relay on the router should automatically pass the DHCP traffic between them. Otherwise, make sure that DHCP relays are set up on other routers, if they exist.

Also, check that your firewall is not blocking DHCP traffic.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Does the router support the IP helper command???

If it does add it and set the IP address as the IP address of your DHCP server.

Comment

@Blood: There are no other routers or anything between the DHCP server and clients so I'm unsure as to why it is not working.

@wullieb1: It took me all morning but I finally figured out how to access the CLI for the RV082. I had to temporarily allow telnet by accessing a hidden page. I will try issuing the ip helper command tonight when everyone is off the system. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Comment

Does anyone have any clue what the syntax is within the CLI to set the IP helper address? The closest I have gotten is: 'ifconfig ip helper-address x.x.x.x' where x.x.x.x is the address of the DHCP server. It keeps telling me that it is an invalid ip but I don't even know if that is the correct command.

Comment

Is it the Cisco RV082 box or the Linksys RV082 box???

Cisco IP Helper for IOS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/...html#wp1169356

from that you should be using

ip helper-address x.x.x.x
                Last edited by wullieb1; 18th April 2011, 23:42. Reason: Wrong number entered

Comment

It is a Linksys and is part of the Cisco Small Business Routers product line. I tried issuing that very command by itself and it just says "Bad Command". So, the router is now scolding me. ha!

Comment

Might not be that command then unfortuntely.

Now i'd be thinking of contacting the support team for the router and asking them.

Is this manual any help???

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/rout...G_78-19576.pdf

Have you enabled the DHCP Relay as per that manual??? I would imagine that the box would then need to know the IP address of the DHCP server and should then be able to contact your DHCP server.

See page 57.

Comment

I have indeed tried the relay and am really at a loss as to why that did not work.

Comment

Just got off the phone with linksys support. The guy spent 90% of his time trying to sell me a switch. first he said that the RV082 does not support VLANS at all. Then when he pulled up a config page for the router, I showed him where it was at in port management and he then tells me that it does not facilitate inter-vlan routing. Unfortunately that was a giant waste of time. He recommended that I get a layer 2 switch with layer 3 functionality.

I did some more testing and, if I used a static ip instead of trying to get one through dhcp, it connected but would not let me browse the internet. I still can't figure out why the DHCP relay isn't working. If it isn't for this, what is the point of it?

...and, would a switch with vlan support solve my problems? How would that work?
                        Last edited by noRulez43; 21st April 2011, 02:06.

Comment

That is very strange. However, I must admit that I have never worked with VLANS, so...

I saw this which seems to be an overview of configuring DHCP relay over VLANs - it is a Dell document but may help you figure it out.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...pp_note_38.pdf

And, have you seen this:

http://www.hwkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/n...yer-2-switches

Hope it helps.
                          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I tried a different approach today and came very close, but alas, no cigar. I set up a windows xp box on vlan2 running 'dual dhcp dns server', got it all configured and was able to connect when I hooked up a laptop to a port which was also set to vlan2. I cheered in rejoice until I noticed I could not browse the web. The part I was missing I guess was NAT and IP forwarding which the above product did not come with. Is there a free software which has all these things that I can install on an empty box to use as a server? Would ubuntu server cover all this? I found one tutorial for this but it said I need two network cards. Is that going to be a prerequisite no matter what?
                            Last edited by noRulez43; 21st April 2011, 22:31.

Comment

Wow. Scrapped the whole thing last night and started over this morning. Everything seems to be working fine. I'm getting ip addresses on the different subnet through DHCP, able to browse the web and everything. Right now I'm able to see everything on every vlan but I think I can stop that through firewall access rules. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but, so far so good. Thanks for all the help guys!

edit: yup, with a couple of firewall access rules, I stopped the talking between VLANS. All is perfect so far! Just in time for classes to start on Monday. Now I have to just hope the windows xp box doesn't crash or anything. ha!
                              Last edited by noRulez43; 22nd April 2011, 17:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X