Edimax Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edimax Router

I have a new Edimax AR-708gA/B Router which thank goodness has numerous LAN ports to avoid the risk of Wireless Hacking such as Google have been caught using their wretched vans. However the fools who wrote the instruction manual as usual do not make some points clear, such as when to install the CD data. All it says is at halfway if you have lost the CD there are more pages of instructions to act upon.

Does anyone known when you are supposed to install the CD. The old USB Speedtouch Modem originally supplied by Wanadoo still adequate enough for me unless I live long enough to see fiber optic cable come here, came with a more sensible CD that actually told you even by voice when to plug in the Modem.

Re: Edimax Router

Hi GordonSweet,
    Generally, the most convenient way to use a wireless router is to configure it to dial your provider (instead of configuring general/ISP based win/MAC dialer on the computer). This gives the ability to browse the internet for whoever connects (ability that SHOULD be restricted by some kind of wireless LAN security method).
    So there is no actual reason to install anything on your computer. Use the configuration manual to configure the IP, browse to the ip address of the router in your favorite browser (the manual will state what is supported) and enter username and password for initial configuration. In your case, IP address should be configured to be obtained automatically, initial IP of the router is 192.168.2.1 and username/password is admin/1234 (separately, of course).

Link to manual:
    http://www.edimax.com/images/Image/m...084_Manual.zip
    Link to quick install guide:
    http://www.edimax.com/images/Image/Q...IG_English.zip

Good luck.
    Regards,
    Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Thanks. The short manual is the same as the hardcopy.

What I was curious is it safe to install the CD BEFORE I plug the router into th LAN port of the PC and would it save me some entries on the PC?

Gordon

Comment

What entries are you referring to?
        The CD probably contains the manual
        Regards,
        Leonid

Comment

All this initial IP of the router is 192.168.2.1 and username/password is admin/1234 (separately, of course).

I realize I must enter my username and Password

Comment

So you do know how to continue from here?
            Regards,
            Leonid

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              I have a new Edimax AR-708gA/B Router which thank goodness has numerous LAN ports to avoid the risk of Wireless Hacking such as Google have been caught using their wretched vans.
              sidenote: Google didn't hack anything.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

According to Press and TV reports the wretched Camera Vans of Google were indeed snooping on people’s Wireless Routers and storing the details including Passwords and Card details. In fact I understand it was only after intervention by such as Data Protection agencies, they are supposed to have destroyed such data. There were further warnings how many such routers are not giving full protection against other Wireless hackers.

All I need to do to install this ancient USB SpeedItouch Modem is install the CD, then a voice tells me to connect the modem, and just enter the broadband username and my password. But it seems no matter whether I use the CD supplied for this Edimax Router or not, according to the manuals I am still expected to run through about a dozen processes to install it. Hardly a case of IT progress is it? I pity anyone using a PC and it for the first time !!

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                  According to Press and TV reports the wretched Camera Vans of Google were indeed snooping on people’s Wireless Routers and storing the details including Passwords and Card details. In fact I understand it was only after intervention by such as Data Protection agencies, they are supposed to have destroyed such data. There were further warnings how many such routers are not giving full protection against other Wireless hackers.

All I need to do to install this ancient USB SpeedItouch Modem is install the CD, then a voice tells me to connect the modem, and just enter the broadband username and my password. But it seems no matter whether I use the CD supplied for this Edimax Router or not, according to the manuals I am still expected to run through about a dozen processes to install it. Hardly a case of IT progress is it? I pity anyone using a PC and it for the first time !!
                  Let's make something clear:
                  Not everything about using or setting up a computer can be done by a "next-next" wizard. If you have some tech knowledge or if you are willing to acquire it via google or forums (like this one), you can get almost anything done. If are here to complain about Google, please do it elsewhere. We are not getting paid to hear it.

Now, for your set-up:
                  Basic router setup includes: computer -> network interface card (NIC) -> network cable (RJ45) -> router LAN port -> router -> router WAN port -> RJ45 -> modem LAN port (sometimes listed as PC) -> modem -> your infrastructure provider (usually telephone cable or coaxial cable).
                  After connecting the computer to the router, you navigate to the configuration web page and configure the settings (this IS usually done by a wizard). You can call your service provider to ask them about different setting if you don't know some part of this configuration.
                  At some point (before or after you've connected the computer to the router), you'll need to connect the router to the modem. It does not matter when you do that. Make sure the line is synced (there is a led indication just for that).
                  After you've completed the router setup it will ask you to save and reboot. After reboot, if everything is connected and set up correctly, the ROUTER will dial your service provider and you will be able to browse the internet.
                  At no point you are not required using any CD. You CAN use it, because some manufacturers will provide you with flash wizards to assist. Modem CDs usually have drivers, especially for USB modems. NIC interface modems can be used and configured with a simple dialer (unless instructed otherwise by your service provider).
                  Do you have any questions about this layout?
                  Last edited by venom83; 27th November 2010, 13:20.
                  Regards,
                  Leonid

Comment

Working...
                  X