Replacing a Cisco PIX Firewall.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a Cisco PIX Firewall.

My works are looking at replacing our existing Cisco PIX firewall. The Firewall is used for a DMZ as well (with 2 machines in) and VPN for between 2 and 8 users.

Why do we want to we replace it? Well one issue is we don't have a support contract with Cisco so we can't ger hold of the VPN client that works in Windows 7 or linux. The PIX has been in the company for years when we used to have 200+ users and Cisco qualified engineers in a network team. That company went bust and we started up again with 10 people and we are all daunted by the PIX and are to scared to make any configuration changes in case it all goes wrong.

Can anyone recommend something to replace it. I have had a quick look at the Draytek 3300 (I think), I just need to look again to see if it supports the DMZ configuration we currently have in place. I've seen one for 361. I could do with it being a little cheaper but I guess this is going to be the best price for a firewall with the functionality I require.

Mods, sorry if it looks like I am turbo posting. I just have lots of questions to ask.

Re: Replacing a Cisco PIX Firewall.

I've had very god experiences with Netgear Prosafe routers/firewalls but I think they only support one IP in the DMZ

What model of PIX is it, and have you looked at Cisco ASA as (IIRC) they are the replacement for the PIX
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I quite like the Watchguard XTM series. They're pretty well priced for the features that are available, such as WAN failover, multiple DMZs, wireless guest, and gateway spam/av.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I've had very god experiences with Netgear Prosafe routers/firewalls but I think they only support one IP in the DMZ

What model of PIX is it, and have you looked at Cisco ASA as (IIRC) they are the replacement for the PIX
        It's a 515. We want to move away from the Cisco though as none of us feel confident with it plus we don't have the client to support linux or Windows 7.

With regards to firewalls with one IP in the DMZ, could this one IP address be a managed switch with a couple of machines hanging off it?

Comment

Working...
        X