Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Up Home A Network Socket

OK,

So, at home, I have a couple of double network sockets ... cheap things but they work.

In my attic I wired one up and, having only one wire in, figured I could simply run wires from one socket to the other (duplicate configuration i.e. port 1 connected to port 1, 2 to 2 etc.) and so provide two working sockets. Each socket works AOK but clearly I've done something wrong since both won't work at the same time so either I need to do some kind of in-socket-crossover or I need two wires in.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thx

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

I'm having trouble visualising this. Do you have a photo/diagram showing what you have done?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Sounds like they are wired in series just like the power cables. If I am correct, this doesn't work like 10Base2. You need to have a cable from the switch to each point. Each socket will work as long as there is only one patch lead connected at a time. Run a second cable and then maybe you might need a new RJ45 socket since the connectors that you punch the wires into may have been spread a little due to having a second wire punched down into it. It could make for a flaky connection.

Comment

Hi Blood,

Originally posted by Blood View Post
        I'm having trouble visualising this. Do you have a photo/diagram showing what you have done?
        I had to create a diagram which should make it clearer.

Keke

Comment

Originally posted by JJKing View Post
          Sounds like they are wired in series just like the power cables. If I am correct, this doesn't work like 10Base2. You need to have a cable from the switch to each point. Each socket will work as long as there is only one patch lead connected at a time. Run a second cable and then maybe you might need a new RJ45 socket since the connectors that you punch the wires into may have been spread a little due to having a second wire punched down into it. It could make for a flaky connection.
          I guess each pin is in series i.e. 1 connected to 1, 2 to 2 etc. ... I had assumed it would therefore work just like a hub. Maybe I have to somehow do a crossover and, if so, I'm asking what pins should be connected to what other pins?

Keke

Comment

Ethernet doesn't work that way, unfortunately. You will need to have a separate cable (all 8 wires) from each socket back to your switch.
            The best you could do with your setup is an "either - or" where only one socket can be active at a time
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you're trying to drive 2 ethernet devices from a single socket, it is do-able, but not the way you've done it. You can drive 2 ethernet devices through a single cable through the walls, but only at a max of 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) per device. Each ethernet cable has 8 wires, but in Ethernet (10Mbps) or FastEthernet (100Mbps) speeds, only 4 wires are physically used. That means the cable through the wall can carry 2 separate channels of data simultaneously, but as I said, only up to Fast Ethernet. GigabitEthernet (1000Mbps) uses all 8 wires for 1 channel so can't be split. The way you do this is with a pair of ethernet splitters.

If you search for 'ethernet splitter' on , you'll find them available lots of places, and they're not expensive. Plug one of these splitters into each end of the existing trunk cable, and then plug 2 switch ports from your router into the 2 splitter sockets on that end of the trunk, and now you can drive 2 devices at 100Mbps at the other end. If you want Gig speeds, you'll have to look to other solutions.
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Ethernet doesn't work that way, unfortunately. You will need to have a separate cable (all 8 wires) from each socket back to your switch.
                The best you could do with your setup is an "either - or" where only one socket can be active at a time
                Which is what I have ... OK

Keke

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                  If you search for 'ethernet splitter' on , you'll find them available lots of places, and they're not expensive. Plug one of these splitters into each end of the existing trunk cable, and then plug 2 switch ports from your router into the 2 splitter sockets on that end of the trunk, and now you can drive 2 devices at 100Mbps at the other end. If you want Gig speeds, you'll have to look to other solutions.
                  OK ... thanks for that

Keke

Comment

Working...
                  X