No announcement yet.

Can't connect to internet with a switch but can connect when directly connected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't connect to internet with a switch but can connect when directly connected

Okay, I'm running into a problem that is driving me nuts right now at work. I have an active port in our main conference room that is connected back to a switch in the server room and internet access works fine when I connect a laptop to it, but if I want to add a mini switch (5 or 8 port) in the conference room to connect multiple laptops then internet access stops working.

At first, I thought it was a bad switch (Linksys 8 port), so I switched it out with a Netgear (5 port) and it still doesn't work. The only thing that happens is the link light blinks green where it is connected. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Re: Can't connect to internet with a switch but can connect when directly connected

What kind of switch is your main switch. There is a security feature on most high end switches that locks down how many MAC addresses can be connect to one port. Switch port security is what I believe its called.

Comment

Re: Can't connect to internet with a switch but can connect when directly connected

It's an HP ProCurve 5412zl. I'm not sure if port security is enabled since I'm not sure what the previous admin did and he left no documentation on anything whatsoever. Ugh!

Btw, thanks for replying.

Comment

Do you know the IP address to manage the ProCurve? If so, connect and have a look... If not, run netscan.exe (Google search will reveal it, and it has a soccer ball for an icon) and see if you can locate it that way.

I don't know much about ProCurve switches, but i'd bet you can find a manual for it, and once you've connected, you can check on port security settings.

Chris

Comment

sounds like port is in errdisable. as already mentioned
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Log onto the netgear switch and disable all managed services.

Try to turn it into a hub.

Failing that, check the network cable, and if you can not check the cable, run a ping Server -t for 5-6 mins and count packet loss, anything over a 1% packet loss, replace the cable going from Room <-> Server, with a brande new, Cat 6e shielded cable (if your going to all the effort of replacing it, may as well pay the extra $5 for the cat6SE).

Failing that, but a Wireless AP on the end and get them to connect via wireless (I am assuming this is for laptops, as not meny people carry around there desktops :P ).

Failing all that, move meetings to a cublic that works

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

While you are looking at port security, check on the speed and duplex of the port you are connecting to the other switch.

Make sure the port speed is not locked down to something the other switch can't handle.
              Try another speed or duplex setting or set to auto.

Comment

seriously, thanks for all the replies, guys. i haven't had the chance to follow up on why the port doesn't work once i add a switch because i got caught up working on another project, but i'll try out the suggestions you guys listed and let you know what the outcome is.

to keep it simple, i'm first going to try a crossover cable from the port in the wall to the mini switch in the conference room and see if that works. also, i have no idea where that port leads to at the main switch in the server room because NOTHING is labeled!! argh!!!

eventually, i'll use a tone generator to figure out what port it leads to back at the main switch and i'll work it from there.

again, thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Comment

Working...
                X