Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP lease time query

Hi, Folks

We use DHCP for some of our clients. DHCP uses a single scope and has the lease time set to 8hrs. I was looking at my machine which has an address assigned via a DHCP reservation and ipconfig /all shows the lease time as 2 days and 8hrs.

Has anyone encountered this before or know why the configuration has been over-ridden, please?
    Attached Files
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Blood, can you attach the image again because I get an Invalid page URL. I have seen this a day or so ago so I begin to wonder...... Let's see if I can do it.
    Attached Files
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok, something is broken I think. If others can see the attached images or cannot see the attached images in both the above post, please advise accordingly below. I want to make sure that it isn't my machine playing silly buggers.

Thanks.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not you, Chris - its a feature
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Aha - I thought my machine was playing up. I initially tried uploading an image but nothing was displayed. Tried it as an attachment next, but that has obviously failed as well.

Anyway, the image simply showed the DHCP options box with the lease time set to 8hrs. It's running on W2008 Standard. Next to it was the output from ipconfig /all from my W7 client that shows 2 days and 8 hrs:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mydomain.local
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E2-BA-E1-88-D9
          DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
          Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
          Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7dd6:ca76:6081:78bd%23(Preferred)
          IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.147(Preferred)
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
          Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2017 08:52:45
          Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 August 2017 16:52:51

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.95
          DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.17
          Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.16
          NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Comment

Some companies will set a short lease time if they have a lot of wireless clients and/or if they have a lot of stale DNS records. I've seen an 8 hour lease time at a few companies.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              Some companies will set a short lease time if they have a lot of wireless clients and/or if they have a lot of stale DNS records. I've seen an 8 hour lease time at a few companies.
              Thanks, Joe

I want the lease time to be 8hrs. There are a small number of domain-joined clients on the network (35), and probably about 15-20 wireless devices (mostly phones) so it's not being bombarded with DHCP requests. I set it to this time because I found my self cleaning up stale records from DNS and DHCP. Since setting the shorter time I've not seen these re-occur.

Comment

There's nothing wrong here. What is happening is that computers will renew their leases which restarts the clock. But the lease is still the original that was obtained.

Run an ipconfig /renew and then check the times again. You should see the lease obtained at the same time but the expires should be updated.

Also note that DHCP clients will attempt to renew the lease when half the lifetime has passed.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Aha! Thank you very much, Jeremy.

I just ran ipconfig /all and the lease values are:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2017 08:52:45
                  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 August 2017 16:52:56

I knew about the DHCP default renewal times but just assumed that the lease obtained value would be updated - I had not realised that as it's not a new lease per se, the original value would remain.

Cheers

Comment

Glad to help.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X