Internal hosted email server not sending emails to gmail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal hosted email server not sending emails to gmail

I have an internal email server that is hosted locally using a public ip from my isp. i have noticed that i can sen email to yahoo but email send to gmail and others are not been received. emails sent from my server are been received on yahoo mail servers. however emails cannot be sent yahoo to my private email servers. i looked at logs of the delivery failure notification and i have seen that " google do not accept emails from by my ip 212.60.56.10 because it does not have a PTR record or a reversed lookup for my domain mydomain.com.

i need tech to help resolved this issue.

Thanks/
    Last edited by hardsoft; 20th June 2017, 12:37.

Create a PTR (or rDNS) record on your public DNS server pointing your IP to your email domain
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

is this to be done by my ISP or by me. i dont have a public dns server. i used the isp dns ip address on my server for internet connection

Comment

You have a domain - someone manages the DNS records for that domain
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

my domain is hosted on digital ozone that is my website and domain. my dns is provide by my ISP. now is it my ISP who should point my DNS to this domain host. I have configured on my email server smtp.myisp.com. now if my ISP and my domain are not the same network that is my confusion.

Comment

I'm really confused now. Do you have a public domain (e.g. petri.com)? Presumably (if you do) this is the one Digital Ozone host. Someone (probably them) will have a DNS server where there are the public records.

Suggest you discuss this with the web hosting provider and your ISP - someone will have the appropriate knowledge
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

yes we do have a public domain that is been hosted by digital ozone. the ISP only provide us internet and a public IP that we are using to host our internal email server. now what will be my smtp to send email.

Comment

Email will be (if I read your original post right) from your internal mail server (what is it?). Depending on your setup it may go direct to recipient or via a "smarthost" at your ISP. Since my psychic powers are on the blink today, I don't know which.

You will need to set up a public DNS record (probably with Digital Ozone, but again may be elsewhere) to tell recipients that the IP address the email comes from (your server or smarthost) maps to the domain you are sending from. I refer you to the last point in my previous post.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

the really issue is that my ISP is the one hosting my public domain but through another hosting provider. in my configuratioon i have selected the option for email to be sent directly to the recipient sever.but in my email delivery i put smtp.my_isp.com because if i query mx record for my dns IP address that what i see. the email is delivered to yahoo but i cannot received back from yahoo. it is complaining of no PTR record for my domain.

now the question still remain is my ISP responsible for the PTR.

Comment

Whoever hosts your domain will have a DNS control panel. That is where the change should be made. The ISP (from your description) is the organisation to contact, but they will not do anything unless you tell them to.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

You should be able to manage your domain name via a control panel or other management page and this is where the DNS management occurs. It is usually your responsibility.

Some domain hosting companies don't allow you to edit DNS records so if you cannot see the option to edit DNS, you will, as Ossian advises, need to contact the hosting company and ask them to make the changes for you.

Your ISP may be providing your IP address, but the PTR record management will be via the domain host as it is the domain name that SMTP servers will contact in order to check that your domain name resolves to that IP and vice versa.

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

In hopes of not clouding the water more, PTR records are not in your DNS zone and any changes to them need to be made by the owner of the public IP. So the PTR record does need to be updated by the ISP. All other records are in your zone (A, CNAME, MX, TXT, etc) and need to be updated by whoever is in control of your DNS.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

In order to satisfy the requirements for authenticating the source of our emails we had to make sure the mail record (in one case named an @ record), pointed to our ISP provided IP address for each of the domains we own.

It may be useful if the OP described which DNS records have been configured...

An A record for 'domain name' that points to the web address for your domain
                          An A record for the mail subdomain which points to the ISP provided IP address.
                          A TXT record containing SPF information defining any filtering/forwarding service (if used).
                          Two (or more) MX records containing the web address(es) of your filtering service provider (if used), or the IP address provided by the ISP.
                          Last edited by Blood; 20th June 2017, 09:09.

Comment

Great i have really understood this subject matter and i have taken it up with my ISP. you people have been a great resource. Thanks

Comment

I made a mistake in my last post. MX records cannot contain IP addresses, only web addresses. IP addresses are not valid for MX records. You would use mail.yourdomain.com or whichever address is recommended by your hosting provider's mail setup if you relay via them.

Comment

Working...
                              X