Trace route and issue with accessing website

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace route and issue with accessing website

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with a client. They are not able to access their own web site and the email web site. I can access both sites from anywhere else. I've done a trace route to the domain name and it's going through the hops, but then gets to 'request timed out'. The trace completes after 30 hops. I called the ISP and they state they performed the same trace route and got to the destination. I have attached a screen shot of the trace route in hopes that someone can identify who I need to contact to fix this. They have a Sophos firewall, but received the same issue from the Sophos.
    Attached Files

You need to contact your ISP who should then oush it upstream to the router provider, in this can hop 7 as you are timing out after that. Bear in mind though that not all routers will respond to pings so your tracert might timeout even though you can get to the website. I get the same response from my system in the UK.

Are you able to ping the website? I am able too.

I can also browse to the website using http, i can see this
    ecbiz209.inmotionhosting.com

Your IP is 89.241.228.116

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      You need to contact your ISP who should then oush it upstream to the router provider, in this can hop 7 as you are timing out after that. Bear in mind though that not all routers will respond to pings so your tracert might timeout even though you can get to the website. I get the same response from my system in the UK.

Are you able to ping the website? I am able too.

I can also browse to the website using http, i can see this
      ecbiz209.inmotionhosting.com

Your IP is 89.241.228.116

Right, so I called my ISP and they weren't helpful. They performed the same trace route and got to ecbiz209.inmotionhosting.com. i can too from my home PC, but from the client I can't ping the website, it just times out. I'm using a different ISP. I just need to know if it's the ISP or inmotion hosting routers causing the issue. or somewhere else on the backbone.

Comment

I would check with the hosting company. A while ago I had a client that was doing some development on the site and whatever tool they were using would cause the security features of the website to blacklist the clients IP.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Neither ping nor tracert are website testing tools. There could be any number of reasons that ICMP traffic is blocked along the path or at the destination. If your problem is with web services then use the appropriate tools. You've spent who knows how long troubleshooting ICMP when the real problem is HTTP/HTTPS. Ping and Tracert are great tools when used appropriately and when you know beforehand that they should produce results. In your case, you have no way of knowing whether or not ICMP traffic is being blocked so your ping and tracert are essentially useless to you.

Comment

I wouldn't say they were useless tools but you do have to use them in conjunction with other tools to correctly diagnose your problem.

Me personally i would always ping something then tracert to something before i go any deeper. Yes i understand that the website might not respond to ICMP but it can help.

Comment

Working...
            X