Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help to find a software

Hi friends,
    I know how good is giving a search in Petri.co.il for getting answer for my all queries related with my network issues. Here I am with a different query, and this is my first posting on this forum. I never posted anything coz always I get answer by just typing some keywords J Kudos to Petri J

I am the system admin of an educational institution, and here we have about 44 classrooms with about 250 computers. I am having a major problem with the IT fund allocation. Here few of my users will come with a new request to procure new educational software every time when they feel like buying it, they may use it or they may completely ignore it after few days of usage. May be finding that software as irrelevant or which is not fit for their interest.

Here my issue is, when the corporate come for IT auditing they will come with thousands of question about the software that we bought. And almost all occasions I am not in a position to give them a proper answer neither I am not in a position to stop the users from buying UNWANTED software for my institute. So here my question is there any software which can give me an exact detail of:
    • What all software are installed on computers (I know this can be done using software like GFI)
    • Which software the users are using commonly (which can give detailed info)
    • Which user is the most software consumer (the user who uses the software more)
    • How long the user was using the software (on hourly basis, if I give filtering for a month)
    • Which all software are never opened by user
    • Which all software are really users are EXPLOITING, I know some users will just open the software and follow the normal 123 steps rather trying to explore its resources
    • Could anyone suggest any software which I can use for free for about a month and then buy it if I feel it as useful for my requirement????
    Hoping someone will help me on this,
    Cheers
    ForensicTechy
    Last edited by biggles77; 19th October 2010, 15:35. Reason: Change font size and format for easier reading

Re: help to find a software

One or two options here:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I have used spiceworks (completely free) and had good results, but other opinions may differ.

Also, Microsoft do very good pricing for educational use -- worth talking to them about SCOM and SCCM
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Belarc Advisor is available free to certain charitable organisations if that covers you. I can recommend Spiceworks for this purpose too, we have a customer who used it until their network got too big and they switched to System Center Essentials.

Ossian is correct though, Microsoft's Educational and Charitable licensing discounts are extremely good, so it's probably worth talking to your reseller.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I have here GFI with me, is this spiceworks works similiar like GFI Lan Guard?

I am going to try the Microsoft System Center essentials, Will this give me the report like : software named X has never been opened on Computer no B??

Thanks a heap

Comment

It will, but only AFTER you start monitoring, so you will need to leave it in place for a few weeks before you can make informed decisions
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi,

Thanks you, i will update my result on this page after a week or two.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Belarc Advisor is available free to certain charitable organisations if that covers you. I can recommend Spiceworks for this purpose too, we have a customer who used it until their network got too big and they switched to System Center Essentials.
              The Belarc used to say it couldn't be used in an educational environment. Don't know if that has changed but would be well worth a look.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have a look at Lansweeper.

Will give you more information than just installed software all from a central location.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
                  My requirement is not just an inventory of software and its license, for that i have GFI lan guard with me which can give the result what Lansweeper gives..

Here my requirement is

I need a software which gives me the detailed info about the USAGE of the software, not if the software is installed or not, not the software is licensed or not.. i am looking for a software which can tell me User X has never opened the Microsfoft Publisher on his/her laptop.
                  I need also info like, for how many hours a software called X has been used, etc etc...

Looking forward..

Comment

As said already, I am fairly sure this is a feature of the various Microsoft System Centre products
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X