File Server <--> Terminal Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Server <--> Terminal Server

I have an SBS Server with shared folders connected to a 48-port 10/100 switch. I have a Termnal Server with applications only also connected to the same 10/100 switch. Both server have a Gigabit NIC.

If I connected both servers to a Gigabit switch and then plugged the Gigabit switch into the 10/100 switch, would the Terminal Server users have better efficiency accessing the shared files and foldes on the SBS server?

In a cascaded setup like this I am assuming the Terminal Server will route traffice directly to the SBS server without any traffic through the 10/100 switch.

Thanks,
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: File Server &lt;--&gt; Terminal Server

If they are only switches, there would be no routing to worry about.
    Traffic would be handled by the internal switching fabric of each switch - ie, yes the TS would talk to the File server through the GigE Fabric.

The Terminal Server would definitely have faster throughput to the files on the file server, however for the end-users on their own terminals, they wouldn't see much difference as the bottleneck would be the 100Mb switch.

Of course, it also depends on the disk infrastructure of the SBS server.

Am I explaining properly, or helping at all ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

That sounded good to me, thanks.

Comment

To save yourself a few hundard bucks, you can just do that using 2 Gigabyte NICs and a cross over cable.

If you have the GB switch, use it, but if you do not, just get a crossover cable.

Wofen

PS: I believe for GB to run over a cross over cable you need Cat6e (if you cant find it, get some Cat5e and add some twists to it (NOT COILS!!!!))
        Last edited by Wofen; 13th October 2010, 04:24. Reason: More details
        Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
          To save yourself a few hundard bucks, you can just do that using 2 Gigabyte NICs and a cross over cable.

If you have the GB switch, use it, but if you do not, just get a crossover cable.

Wofen
          How would the other 40 users connected to the LAN via the 10/100 switch access the SBS server? I guess I forgot to tell you there are local users as well as remote users <grin>
          Last edited by RobW; 13th October 2010, 03:59.

Comment

Well, Via a cable... that goes from the switch to the server.

I did mean to put a 2nd NIC into both servers and give them a "network" that only inculdes those 2 servers. Allows the servers to talk without adding extra load to your switchs processors.

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Your users won't be able to see any difference as they'll still be connected to the 10/100 switch and the server will communicate at that speed.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Your users won't be able to see any difference as they'll still be connected to the 10/100 switch and the server will communicate at that speed.
                true - users won't see any difference on their workstations, but if they're logged onto the TS, they will see (marginally) faster response for opening files.
                The delay will then be the TS Processing the change on the client screen...
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  Not quite true, as I would hazzard a guess that 50% of network traffic is communication between the TS and the Fileserver, if that is the case, giving them there own line will double the speed of your network (before you have 50bits, now you have 100bits).

I highly recommend setting up a deadicated network between your servers, it will reduce your network load by 60-70%.

Also, if you do not want to just increase the speed between the FS and TS, you could just install a 2nd NIC in both servers and load balace the connections. To me it seems insane that all your files are shared out at such slow speeds.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                  X