Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network connection Issues Error 59

Hello Guardians,

I am reaching out today because I cannot find a solution to the network connection issues we are experiencing. I am the sole IT in a printing company. We have a mailing software that processes files and gets them ready to print. I am not 100% sure what the mailing dept does, but I am in charge of making sure their servers are connected and communicating.

The issue has been extremely inconsistent, to the point that I cannot recreate this issue on command. If we receive the error, we repeat the desired process, and it successfully runs. Also, the error occurs during different processes at different times.
    The issue has been happening since we upgraded to Windows 10, back in July 2016.

The error in MAIL_CLIENT_SOFTWARE is popping up with message "System Error. Code: 59. An unexpected network error occurred."

When the error occurs in Microsoft Access or Excel, it come up with an error "Location is not available - \\DATASERVER\FILEPATH is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

From what I can tell, the issue is due to the DATASERVER (Server2012). Heres why..

MAIL_SERVER_SOFTWARE is located on MAILSERVER (Server2012-Virtual).
    MAIL_CLIENT_SOFTWARE, that connects to the MAIL_SERVER_SOFTWARE, is installed on MAILCLIENT (two windows 10 machines).
    So... MAILCLIENT starts MAIL_CLIENT_SOFTWARE and connects to MAIL_SERVER_SOFTWARE. The MAIL_SERVER_SOFTWARE connects to the DATASERVER for files to run.
    We receive the "ERROR 59" alert at random times during random processes on the MAILCLIENT Computer.
    When the error happens, the connection the DATASERVER is timed out, and the process must be restarted.

That being said, we have similar issues when performing other tasks on the DATASERVER.
    When using Microsoft ACCESS Files, or EXCEL files, we have had random drops of connection, causing all work to be redone.

If we get the connection drop, it loses connection and errors out for all programs connected to DATASERVER.

Any and all advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated!
    Thank you
    Standard_IT

Anything in your firewall logs?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank you Blood, for taking your time to review my issue.

I have not checked my firewall logs, what should I be looking for? I don't have much experience with dealing with the firewall. Please help me follow your thought process. Thank you again for your time.

Standard_IT

Comment

Look for DNS issues. We use Sophos and when we installed our first Windows 7 clients, the Sophos client firewall blocked DNS traffic because it detected that the memory was being manipulated. I never got to the bottom of it, but it took me weeks to determine what the problem was. The symptoms were almost identical to yours. As soon as I discovered it I removed the tick box and all the connectivity problemsdisappeared. Note that this is not an issue with 64bit PC's, only with 32bit clients. So, check that DNS is not being interfered with.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

When you try and connect to the DATASERVER and you get an error is there anything in the event logs on that server that would point to something wrong?

To me, from what i've read, the issue arises when the software cannot connect to the server for any files it requires. This to me would point to the server dropping off, you have stated that browsing to the server fails at this time from a client.

Basic things to do first

Drivers, especially network drivers, are up to date.
          Any issues with the switch that the server connects to? Is it managed and you can check logs, and port statistics?
          Check network card settings, is the device running at half duplex for instance.
          Is the server contactable at all when this error occurs, can you access other shares on the server when this happens? Create a test share, doesn't need any data just needs to be accessible, if you don't have any others.
          Start a continuous ping to the server, DATASERVER, and monitor at the time the issues arise.
          Both physical servers? Is there possibly a hardware problem with the NIC?

Comment

Working...
          X