Blacklisting of public ip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacklisting of public ip

My public IP assigned to me by my ISP is frequently blacklisted . I host my email server locally and accessible via the public IP. When blacklisted my emails are not delivered to recipient during the block period. Can anyone explain where the problem is coming from. Is it surely an internal spam issues or also attributed to the ISP.

Check with a site such as MXToolbox, which will check your IP against multiple black-list providers and show you how to contact each to ASK to be de-listed
    Ultimately it is up to the provider whether or not they de-list you

The cause could be any (or all) of:
    a) you are sending spam
    b) someone on the same IP range is sending spam
    c) someone who previously had the IP used it to send spam
    d) Range was previously considered "dodgy" for some unknown reason
    e) F***-Up by the block list provider
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have a spam filter on my network so i am sure that i am not sending spam however the same public ip is being shared with a state can it also be a cause. Does it means that only pc sending email can cause spam for blacklisting?

Comment

Sorry, I really don't understand what you are saying
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i have my email server hosted locally but i have installed a spam filter before it " Untangle spam filter" this is trying to stop spam in and out of email server to other recipients. I am using the same public ip am hosting my email server and also doing port forwarding to other application by sharing with a Nat. My question is , can blacklist be from other network or is it soley as result of pc sending email spam?

Comment

The blacklist can be due to anything using that public IP, so any device on your internal network which connects to the internet
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Your email can be spoofed by spammers and this can result in you being blacklisted. If the idiot blacklisters just compared the FQDN to the IP address then they could determine that it was either a spoofed email or a genuine email. I imagine that you are being blacklisted due to your FQDN being spoofed. This is what caused me to fold up the Exchange Server and revert to something else.

Ossian, what is the record you can put in the DNS to help avoid being blacklisted. Got a brain fart running at the moment and I can't remember the record name. Thank you Google, hardsoft, add an SPF Record to your DNS or your ISP DNS or the "Management Panel" if you are provided with one by the ISP.

Good luck.

Comment

Our problems have been caused by someone on the same IP range abusing their connection. It's a bummer that the blacklist people decide to blacklist the whole range. It's bloody stupid.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  Our problems have been caused by someone on the same IP range abusing their connection. It's a bummer that the blacklist people decide to blacklist the whole range. It's bloody stupid.
                  I run into this often with customers and it's difficult to get them to understand sometimes the reasons their IP specifically is not blacklisted, yet they have problems sending.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherbeflying View Post

I run into this often with customers and it's difficult to get them to understand sometimes the reasons their IP specifically is not blacklisted, yet they have problems sending.
                    We subscribe to MXToolbox's blacklist notification service which monitors all our websites IP's and our office IP which is where our mail originates. I spoke with one of our web hosting tech support people people who explained that the people who run the blacklisting services do in fact blacklist an entire range. The hosters also monitor blacklists and actively apply for removal of 'good' IP's.

Our office IP was blacklisted a few months ago and we use Proofpoint so I was bemused by the act. I contacted the organisation that had blacklisted us and asked for details, they replied our IP had been blacklisted in error.

These public services and too broad in their application. What makes matters worse is that companies offering mail checking blacklist services like McAfee pump out domain names and not the IP's which means that their customers end up blocking legitimate mail because they are blocking based on domain name and not IP. As above, using SPF records (which we have setup), should negate this, but ... It makes me mad.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                    X