Tracing my IP route

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing my IP route

Anyone know of a simple and clear IP routing logger. A service I connect to using citrix fails when I change my default gateway and tracert isn't showing any differences.

Thanks

If you run 'tracert' with the original default gateway in place, and then run it again after the gateway is changed, the results MUST show a difference in the first hop. If not, your gateway isn't changing. You might want to verify persistent route settings on your PC, use 'route print' and any persistent routes defined will show up. You might also want to verify the routing table before & after you make your gateway change to see what the table does.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Rickles...that's what I would expect but the first hop does not change. My overview was somewhat rushed and ambiguous....so here's a better one (hopefully)

Most users used to have their DG (via DHCP) set to a specific address (via an Router AVPN service to our parent company in the US). The people that didn't use this service had theirs set to our managed router DG...all was fine and we thought nothing of it until our US said they were getting a lot of unnecessary traffic so we changed everyone to our default (All DHCP and Static)

This is where the fun began. When I change our DC DG IP settings from the old to the default, the applications we use via Citrix fail.

Comment

You will need to give us a lot more information about your network structure - perhaps some IPCONFIGs and a tracert to the Citrix farm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Then you may have a routing issue associated with your setup, possibly that the AVPN router config doesn't know how to get back thru your DG, or the tunnel won't allow the return traffic. A diagram with some IPs posted would help. Sounds like your parent company network staff should be involved with you to work this out, since that's where the Citrix server is sitting. Your last sentence talked about your DC's settings: if your local users were OK having your local router manually set as their default gateway but the DC changes break something, is the DC in the same subnet as your local users? If not, that subnet has the routing/VPN issue relative to the parent company network. Food for thought.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Helpful Ideas. Very kind of you.

Comment

Working...
            X