4 G Broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 G Broadband

If I were to abandon my unreliable Fibre Broadband for a Tablet running 4G what would the equivalent speed in Mps please.

It will vary a lot depending on
    a) the signal strength (can drop to 3G sometimes)
    b) contention ratio (number of other users)
    c) exact location (obstacles between dongle and mast)
    d) weather conditions
    e) operator temporary caps / maintenance on masts

I find that (city centre, EE 4G dongle) I can get up to about 4 megabytes per second but it really can vary wildly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What does your ISP say about this poor service?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

From his previous posts, it is British Telecom, so they say absolutely nothing....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I should explain what happened when I finally managed to get them to send a BT Engineer here. I have a rather long lead from the BT box to the BT HUB. It transpires though the lead is just ordinary Phone extension cable that is not now good enough for fussy Fibre and the guy spent 30 minutes installing superior cable for fibre.So the speed is now 19 Mps. However if I keep the HUB on all the time as recommended I now cannot open an URL unless first thing I reboot the HUB. So I propose to switch off the power to HUB when finished for the day and turn it on next day.

Comment

http://www.4g.co.uk/4g-news/news-fea...300112734.html

Comment

This will amuse some my pal who has lived here in Hastings for many years informs me the reason why my BT fibre speed is a mere 18 Mps is because I am still surrounded by old corroding aluminium cables. Yet with others like him in nearby Bexhill are having their speed upgraded to the full 52 Mps. Would it not make sense for BT to concentrate on replacing corroding cables than trying to upgrade others to a 52.

Who on earth needs speeds of 52 apart from business and youngsters such as playing silly online games all day?

Comment

I have just noticed the Vodafone offer of a Dongle and SIM below for say a PC does not state if the SIM is supposed to be plugged into the Dongle. I certainly have no ports on any of my PCs or laptops to accept a SIM card

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/table...-mobile-wi-fi/

Comment

The SIM will go into the dongle, and the dongle into a USB port

Alternatively, see if they do a "MiFi" wireless hotspot so you can connect multiple computers
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X