No announcement yet.

Emails and servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emails and servers

Can anyone suggest why emails I receive from some friends fail to display any images inserted, though I have no such problem with such emails I send myself to test.

Also is it safe to temporarily install my Orange Broadband software using an old Speedtouch USB modem on a friend's laptop when he comes, which already has BT Router software installed? I want to install Skype for him, or does Skype etc only recognise the orginal phone being used to install them.

Last edited by GordonSweet; 25th September 2010, 13:19.

Re: Emails and servers

skype can be installed on any computer, at any time.. it's not specific to an internet connection, or phone, or computer

as far as I'm aware anyway. if you're unsure, just downloadf the executable from the skype site.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Thanks, but what I need to know is can I start to install Skype using my modem next time he calls to join in a Skype meeting? If so will his BT Broadband and Skype still work when he returns to his address?

The problem of my of my friend's emails failing to show images inserted has partly been solved by her sending them on a laptop. So I told her to try to compare the Outlook Express setups of the PC and and the laptop.

Skype has absolutely nothing to do with the way you connect to the internet. The only thing that matters is the username you put into skype when you start it.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Download the Skype installer onto your USB key and install from there.

Wait till your friend gets home then talk him through the setup process. Pretty easy from memory.

Thanks. But if you check I think you will find the latest version of Skype insists you enter your email address online then install Skype online. So would it allow hm to install it at my address using my Broadband? The run it at his home afterwards?

I think you'll find that the install will work but the final config needs the internet. The install can be done offline and then configured when the user gets home.