Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two different networks at one location

Hello,

Up to now at my location we had only one network, I mean one AD, One DHCP, and one Subnet to suffice the requirement for my company,

Now My company has bought another company and their people are going to move to our location, but will continue using their own AD, DNS and DHCP servers,
    For internet they are going to use my existing connection with my ISP,

One more thing, while this new company is going to operate their network separately they would still like to do access data from our network,

Now I am tasked to do accommodate and facilitate this move,

How do I do this so that we have two different company network operate from same location,

I was thinking that I may need some sort of VLAN on my switch to do this, but I don't know too much about VLAN's can some one guide me on this,

You help is very much appreciated,

Many Thanks

Re: Two different networks at one location

at the very least, you must have two separate subnets, ie 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.10.0. You can then use a router to separate your two networks. (You could also use vlans if you so choose)

It's a bit beyond my scope to simply tell you about vlans - I'm not familiar enough to be able to tell you, and ansyone else would only be telling you things you could already read.

You can definitely also run the two AD environments - you'll need to look into "trusts" to establish this.

So you have two things.
    One - separate network connectivity using vlans or routed subnets
    Two - separate AD name spaces, connected using a trust, over the two newly connected networks.

If you have specific questions on the nature of the trust elements, I could answer them for you, but again, start with a basic understanding from some of the articles on this site, or the MS kba or similar.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks Tehcamel,

Can any body share some of your knowledge with VLAN's how I can use it to VLAN my switch so I can accommodate two different networks?

Regards,

Comment

Completely depends on the networking equipment, but basically you set the interface(s) for one network on one VLAN, and the other interface(s) on another VLAN.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am looking at buying this unit from Cisco,

ESW-520-24P-K9

Or May be HP ProCurve 2610

Is there a some sort of general guide or explanation on doing VLANs?

What my understanding is that you log in to the switch and then assign each port to different VLAN, but after doing this do I have to do some sort of routing between different VLAN's do I have to assign specific protocol to each VLAN,

one more thing Right now my present subnet is 10.11.0.0/255.255.0.0 suppose I give another subnet 10.11.1.0/255.255.255.0 new company, then how the people in my new company are going to connect to internet Do I have to configure some sort of Default gateway on their VLAN to look at my router and then go out to internet?

I hope I explained it right,

Comment

Overlapping subnets is going to cause problems -- far better to give them 10.12.0.0/16
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes, there would need to be a route for their subnet, to your current internet router for them to access the internet
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank Tehcamel and Ossian,

One thing I forgot to ask is that new company has its own exchange server and if I do all this VLAN's and layer 3 routing between them, do this new company will still be able to receive the emails on their exchange server,

Right now I am using NAT on my Cisco router to do port forwarding for to my exchange server, how can I forward emails to their exchange server once they are here? I have one public IP spare so i was thinking I will use it for the new company's email sever and the forward email traffic for that IP to new VLAN capable switch,

My question is to which IP on the new VLAN capable switch I should forward emails traffic to?

Comment

Simon may come and inform us of a better way to do it, however I have two theories here.

1. Create a connector between the two exchange networks, so that Network1 knows it can deliver to network2 without going via the external SMTP host (and vice versa)
                  This may not be possible..

or

2. use the second IP address like you suggested. best way to do it at least in the short term. there's no other way you cadn direct port 25 on the public interface to two different internal hosts

Comment

Used to work at a place w/ 2 sister companies next to each other, two way trust between them. Rules were in place (exchange and cisco I believe) that routed certain traffic internally between the two networks / domains.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Now it is decided that the new company being small enough about 25-30 persons, they will assimilate in to our network, so no need for routing and VLANs,

I still have one question though,

My company use for example exchange domain mycompany.com and has MX record published for that purpose, now suppose I will assimilate new company's people to my network and if they still like to receive emails for their old company's exchange domain I can just register the old company's MX record to come to my IP address? and then create new users in my AD and give them the old company's email address that way they would still be able to receive emails directed for their old domains?

Am I on the right path?

Please provide your thoughts,

Comment

Essentially yes -- you will need to tell your Exchange server it is authoritative for that domain as well, and your users may end up with dummy addresses in it
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

you _may_ be able to migrate your existing users, using "ADMT"
                          however for 25 users, you may not be bothered.

Ensure your existing exchange server is made primary and authoritative for the new domain, change your mx pointers, and add the relevant AD users with mailboxes

use recipient policy to ensure that only the users fro CompanyB get companyB email addresses by using Exchange Extension Attributes (or simply a global group)

Comment

Thank you very much guys for all your help, I will follow your advise,

Comment

Working...
                            X