Routers in General

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routers in General

Sometime ago I bought an Edimax AR-7084GA WIRELES Router which I have never needed to use so far, but is kept for an emergency. I just noticed no Phone filters were included nor is any mention made of their need such as with the old USB connected Speedtouch 330 is still use. I might add the phone lines here are so bad I could never achieve a connection faster than 2 to 3 Mbps whatever modem I used.

Am I right in assuming Routers such as this Edimax no longer need filters for any phones in use for the same line?

Re: Routers in General

AFAIK you still need an ADSL microfilter on every phone socket on the line your router is on. Cheaper routers may only include one or even no microfilters

You can, I believe, buy a special device that replaces the master socket and provides filtering, but I have no further details beyond a vague memory
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom are you thinking of a Central Splitter like this. http://www.c10.com.au/products/adsl-...litter-c10100e

The phone line comes in from the street and is split here. One (or 2) pair go off to the phone and another pair goes to the ADSL Modem. I have one of these on each of my phone lines because it save dicking around with the little inline rubbish.

Also means I can plug a phone in anywhere without needing a filter and can have more than 3 phones if required.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Looks more or less right except the one I remember plugged into the master phone socket -- but thats a British Telecom thing.

Does the same job, anyway
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X