Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot access website

hi,

hope this thread is ok in this part of the forum?!

I'm looking at a problem whereby the customer can browse to:
    http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk
    although no further.
    "Page cannot be displayed" from ie6 and firefox 3.6 when attempting to enter the site via the english or welsh links.
    Tried from various other sites and cannot replicate problem.
    SBS 2k3 with 10 clients (all same site) and although i've only tried from their sbs box, it's apparently exactly the same for the clients.
    The Internet provider is not aware of any dns issues and i've changed them to use google and opendns to no avail.
    I know IE6 is outdated, and this thing needs patching although they need to be able to access this site as soon as possible. I should add I have tried several other sites from the same server which work fine.
    thanks for looking!

Re: cannot access website

Moved to General Networking as most appropriate forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you purged the DNS cache on the server? If the server is using DNS forwarders have you tried removing them and using root hints only? Is this SBS Premium with ISA, if so what happens when you monitor a connection?
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Are you trying to access the site internally or externally?

I see the Council employs around 6,000 people and there are presently 9 vacancies. It works from OZ.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Look at your DNS and clear the cache, as has already been mentioned.

Reset IE6 to defaults, if you can. Its been that long since i used it i can't remember.

Delete all your temp internet files

Try again.

Comment

Get rid of IE6. Update to anything else, well almost anything else.

Even Microsoft admit IE6 is a security problem and have suggested IE8 but if not that then anything else. They mentioned FireFox, Chrome, Safari and Opera so it must be bad if they are touting for their opposition.
            Last edited by biggles77; 23rd August 2010, 04:15.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hi,

thanks for the posts and sorry for the slow reply. we have tried everything mentioned to no avail. waiting for webmasters to come back to us to see if their i.p has been banned.

Comment

As per my post from above, are you having trouble when accessing internall or externally. I have just clicked on the link in you original post and I can still access the site so it seems like there is not a problem connecting to it from outside your network. In this case I would suggest you follow Wullie's suggestion about the DNS. You may have an incorrect A Record that is causing this issue.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X