No SIM card mobiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No SIM card mobiles

Am I right in assuming the reason why some mobiles are sold as not needing a SIM card is because the buyer will be forced to pay the suppler of the phone for all calls and cannot choose anyone else?

I was not aware of any (UK) mobiles which operate without a SIM card - SIM Free is somewhat different (you supply the phone, the operator supplies the SIM). Then again, Kindle 3G makes use of mobile networks without requiring a (user controlled) SIM (it may have an embedded one)

If you really mean "operating without needing a SIM", please provide a link - my for no-sim phone fails dismally
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Visit http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/pho...o-g-4g-3rd-gen than click on NO SIM CARD and notice the price changes to almost 150. I take it to mean it has a SIM CARD but if you do not commit yourself to their probably expensive Monthly Contract you must pay 150 for the Phone.

Comment

There is a standard called CDMA which doesn't use a SIM card, however I've only ever heard of it being used in North America (USA & Canada) - most of the rest of the world uses the GSM standards.

Could just be that rather than a SIM slot there's an area of memory in the phone for the data that would normally be on the SIM though.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-CDMA-ph...t-of-SIM-cards
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Gordon
          On my view of the page, it says "SIM Free", so buying the phone outright, then getting a SIM-only contract from any provider, rather than paying for the phone in instalments along with the SIM

cruachan - that is presumably what kindles use, also the proposed "phone for help in an accident" functionality in cars?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

TBH I thought Kindles used SIMs, I had one that did, although that was an old model.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              Visit http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/pho...o-g-4g-3rd-gen than click on NO SIM CARD and notice the price changes to almost 150. I take it to mean it has a SIM CARD but if you do not commit yourself to their probably expensive Monthly Contract you must pay 150 for the Phone.

Also known as buying the phone outright to use on any network you choose.

IIRC my Kindle, one with the keyboard, has a SIM in it. Only noticed it when i had to replace the screen.

Comment

Working...
              X