4G Broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4G Broadband

Is it possible to use even 1 or 2 GB for broadband on a PC or laptop. The fastest I have seen on a router is 100 Mps. At least 1GB if possible must be faster than the mere 15 Mbps I get now with BT Fibre due to the poor phone lines in this area. Each time my BT Hub tried any faster speeds it crashed then dropped speed.

Gordon, you are confusing a number of separate issues here:
    1) Internal network speed (most routers have either 100Mb/s or 1GB/s wired ports and Wireless typically at 150Mb/s). Note wireless is a function of distance, building construction and number of connected devices. This is the speed of data transmission within your network, so from PC to PC or from PC to router
    2) ADSL (broadband) speed - depends on telephone infrastructure. Also the A is for Asynchronous - download speeds are generally much faster than upload.
    3) Mobile broadband - speed depends on number of concurrent users and geography. This is where the 4G comes in - Fourth Generation mobile data - offering (allegedly) higher speeds for compatible devices.

Unless you use a mobile device to connect to the internet (MiFi personal hotspot, or router with a SIM card - effectively a mobile phone in the router) your internet speed will be controlled by (2)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks forgive my ignorance

Comment

Should have added, internal network speed depends on having suitable network cards or WiFi at both ends - no point in having 1GB/s on the router if the PC has 100 Mb/s only - also cards can be set to run slower than maximum speed

tbh, 15Mb is excellent compared with the 6 I get (new housing scheme so should have up to date infrastructure, but BT (cheapskates) didn't bother putting in FTTC)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I find it difficult to believe while they can poor out up to 4Gb broadband for mobiles presumably at a modest cost perhaps cheaper than Fibre Broadband they cannot make it available for PCs etc. Perhaps if it has something to do with if it was available to PCs costing no more than Fibre, many of us such as me would have no use for a land line any more.

Monthly contracts for mobiles and Skype calls are both a lot cheaper than BT landline calls. Also I feel sure I am on some spamming list as the majority of my calls are all spammers using hidden calls.

Comment

No, Gordon - 4G is NOT 4 Gigabit Per Second, it is 4th Generation mobile data (3G is Third Generation and apparently 5G is in the pipeline). Typical speeds are up to about 20 Mb per sec, although this depends a great deal on what other users are doing.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X