MAC code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC code

I was wondering, we all know we need to obtain the mysterious MAC code from our current server to pass onto a new server, always assuming our contract with the old server has expired. But I understand the MAC code changes after so many days. So what happens when someone is say moving house and does not bother to obtain the MAC code for the new owner of the house, in case it is needed. Likewise what if it is say some years before the new owner wants broadband, and maybe by then cannot discover the name of the server used by the previous owner?

Re: MAC code

This is the Migration code used by the ISP to transfer the ADSL account to a different one

Up to the new ISP -- if you turn around and say you never had broadband and want it, the ISP will be able to tell you the old ISP (so you can get a code from them) or do the job for you.

They (the new ISP) want your money so why would they make it difficult? It is the old ISP (who want to keep your money) who make it difficult for you to transfer to someone else, but if no-one is paying them, they have no incentive to be awkward
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. I was under the impression the code chages regularly on every phone whether you use Broadband or not. So how long does a MAC code remain until it is changed while using Broadband, if you ask a server for it in order to move to another server?

Comment

10 days, IIRC
        They are generated on demand and are purely an aid to transferring the ADSL from one ISP to another
        http://www.maccode.org.uk/
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again Ossian. You must be retired like me.

One more if I might pester you. Wireless mobile connection instead of landline is often slower I understand, but though you need to buy a special dongle they do seem to allow you to sign up for just one month notice.

Though I believe you cannot use the Broadband from two different severs at once, can you run Wireless from one server to test it as well as still being connected by another by landline?

Comment

No problem mixing mobile and fixed broadband, but you get two separate connections and cannot combine them as a faster one.

Most providers offer "pay monthly" (O2 offer unlimited - subject to fair use - data for 15 per month) or "pay as you go" where you top up so many Gb (costs more than pay monthly but more flexible). The dongle may or may not be free, and some laptops have the technology built in so no dongle needed, just a SIM
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks again Ossian, just exploring all possibilities. Actually I have sent some suggestions to a local Councilor who is vainly trying to persuade BT in our area to use more resources to improve the lines for Broadband. We even have aluminum lines in some places. I suggested servers should be made to charge according to the Broadband Speed their computers can detect we are using or wish to use, NOT what speeds we might get one day if I live long enough.

Just how many on the whole country ever get the mystical 20 Mbps servers brag about?

Comment

The problem is Gordon that the further you are from the exchange to weaker the signal strength gets. The weaker the signal the slower the speed.

Here in OZ, the present Govt is trying to rollout Fibre To The Home (FTTH) so we will not suffer from attenuation and as a result will be able to connect at whatever speed the exchange equipment will supply.

You must also remember that no matter what connection speed you may have, you will only be able to download as fast as the site you are connected to allows. I have ADSL2+ bt due to my distance from the exchange I connect at about 12mbps and not the potential 24 (which is only available up to 800 metres from the exchange). Microsoft, Symantec, Apple and Adobe are the only sites that I can think of where I can max out my bandwidth. My laptop manufacturer seems to have the bandwidth strangled so I can download at 26K/sec instead of the 1.2xM/sec from Microsoft. Very frustrating when you have to download a 100MB file at 26K/sec.

FTTH is not going to change that however it will allow multiple users to have multiple downloads running and not notice any difference in browsing speed. It also make TV/movies via Internet more of an eventuality.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                  X