No announcement yet.

Strange issue with firewall dropping connections to server/pc's

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issue with firewall dropping connections to server/pc's

I have a physical environment at work and have introduced two esx servers and a San. During testing random pc's would not be able to get internet access/ping via ip or dns anything on the Internet. However lan connectivity continues to function fine.

This randomly effects some pc's and our Remote Desktop server. Rebooting the firewall temporarily fixes the issue before it happens again. Rebooting switches has the same temporary fix as does rebooting the esx servers. Disable/enable network adapter in windows temporary fixes it. but also it will randomly start working again. The only cure is to turn off the esx servers completely.

I'm totally baffled by this and could do with some suggestions as I'm out of ideas. I don't have any guest servers running on esx yet.

the main lan is on (pc's,servers,esx) class c
    A dmz vai the firewall on class c
    A fibre link over the firewall to another on class c
    My San is connected to dedicated hba's using DAC sfp+ cables on class c
    San management is on class c

Appreciate any help
    Last edited by mordzy; 12th December 2015, 21:24.

Yes, I also have encountered dropping connections due to firewalls. What I usually do is to follow these steps that I found online: This is the Power Cycle Hardware:

1.Turn off and unplug all of your network devices. This includes all modem and or network switches/routers - and if they have a battery, please remove the battery.
    2. Turn off your computer.
    3. Leave them all off for 30-40 seconds.
    4. Turn all of your devices back on and give them a few minutes to initialize and update.
    5. Clear your internet browser cache.

I hope that will help.