Wireless connectivity problems after device comes out of sleep mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless connectivity problems after device comes out of sleep mode

This is a weird one. Our wireless devices more often then not when a user logs in, does some work, lets it sit and it'll lock and go to sleep. They'll come back and unlock it and domain resources will not work. For example try an access a network drive it'll say unable to resolve the name of a domain controller. When its in this state I can ping the DC by name, get on the Internet, even our Office 365 stuff works but not domain resources. I can ping the DC but if I try \\mydomain.com\netlogon I get the same error. I also get the same error if I try and run a GPupdate. If I reboot the PC or disable and re-enable the wireless it'll start working but people don't want to have to reboot. There is nothing in Group Policies about power settings in wireless adapters that has worked. I'm reaching here. Anyone else have any ideas

Check Device Manager and see if the wireless NIC is set to shut down to save power. Look under the Power Management tab. Might be worth also checking the settings in the Advanced tab as well.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are there updated WiFi drivers available?
      What OS is the device?
      What make/model of WiFi?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We have thousands of wireless devices. Several models of laptops and Surface tablets so I don't think its a driver issue since it spans multiple devices. They are all Win 8.1. Make and model of the Wifi varies. In some buildings is a System from a Vendor called Trapeze and the newer one we're phasing in is Ruckus

Comment

I go with the power options as well. When the device sleeps the wireless is disconnected. It then has a job restoring authentication. I disable all networking/pci power settings on our devices, disabled sleep, hibernation etc., as this was simply too much of a headache.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

If you have thousands of APs, how are you managing them? I have worked in an organisation with thousands (about 27,000 ) of Ciscos APs and we used Cisco WLCs to manage them. Maybe you management tool has an issue.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I read that as "thousands of client devices" rather than thousands of APs, but Biggles's question still stands

If they are Windows, you could roll out power profiles via GPOs or SCCM (if available)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
                I read that as "thousands of client devices" rather than thousands of APs,
                Mmmm, oh poo.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This could be on the settings of the computer. This always happens on my laptop with Vista. I believe settings is under Power Management.

Comment

Working...
                  X