No announcement yet.

VPN client error connect mapped drive by server name

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN client error connect mapped drive by server name

Dear Everybody,
    I have a question regarding VPN client software setup on my laptop.
    In my corporate network, i mapped network driver by server name : \\abc\Engineering
    when i am outside my network, i use that VPN client to connect to file server at corporate

Problem is I can't ping from my laptop to file server by server name : ping abc but i can ping it by server ip :
    also when i tried to access Engineering folder that mapped on my laptop, the message appear : An error accrued while connecting to L:\\abc\Engineering

i decided to disconnect the mapped drive \\abc\engineering and remapped Engineering by server ip: net use L:\\192.168.5\Engineering
    Can you help me about this please?
    We are using VPN Clients software free from this site:
    Best regards,
    Last edited by Ossian; 18th September 2015, 07:03.

Speak to your network administrator as it is likely there are some restrictions on what you can access by VPN
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

It sounds like you don't have the LMHOSTS file set up properly in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.

This file provides a mechanism through which names of computers on remote networks can be resolved. Open the file in Notepad - it contains instructions on how to set this up.

Here's the lmhosts file for our network that I have on my home PC:

# My Workplace lmhosts file phobos #PRE #DOM:HTLINCS orion

Phobos is the name of one of our domain controllers and Orion is the name of our data server
      Last edited by Blood; 18th September 2015, 17:51. Reason: Add extra info
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Deaer Mr.Blood,
        Thanks so much for your help!
        It is working like a charm!
        best regards,
        Last edited by veasna_yim; 18th September 2015, 21:37.

Great! I'm glad you got it working
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy