No announcement yet.

My server 2012 essential R2 see or not others computers or NAS on the network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My server 2012 essential R2 see or not others computers or NAS on the network

Hello. After a very long time far from windows server, I come back for one of my customer with a 2012 Server Essential and 3 PC running seven pro, just to discover that -as 20 years ago - I should know all the things which are not in the manual...

Anyway, server nas, and computers have fixed ip addresses, I have other computers on the network running dhcp from the router which are seen sometime by the server , sometime not, I dont know why and without doing any change...

I can ping all the devices I want without any problem with the name or the ip address.

I fougth to activate the discovering of the network which was not running even I click on the rigth place. But nothing better.

Tiebreaker, i'm unable to modify the policies for passwords security it seems that I"m not allowed to do it despite I'm using administrator profile.

Very disappointing at least... Maybe I'm really outdated but for a product that MS show as an very easy solution for small network to install i find it quite complicated...

Any help or suggestion welcome

thanks to all

Dom

Originally posted by [URL="https://www.petri.com/forums/member/95664-dom5556"
    dom5556[/URL]]Tiebreaker, i'm unable to modify the policies for passwords security
    Firstly, can you post a path description or a screenshot of where you are trying to modify the password policy. Just want to know if you are in the correct location as you did say you have been away from Windows (lucky bastard ) for a while and things have changed a tad.

With regard to DHCP, is there another DHCP Server on the network? If there is DHCP running on the Server 2012 (as well as the Router one), there may be a clash between them an one of them may become unhappy and force it to go an have a sulk for a while.

server nas, and computers have fixed ip addresses, I have other computers on the network running dhcp from the router
    Sounds like a mess. Any idea why some computers have a Static IP and others are Dynamic?

to activate the discovering of the network which was not running even I click on the right place. But nothing better.
    Can you post a screenshot of what you consider the "right place" to confirm you are at the right place. Ta.

1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

First, many thanks to give a look on my problem.

I try to change the passwork policies in (I translate from french...) Admin Tools / Local strategy of security /Account strategy / passwords strategy / password must meet complexity requirements

I'm unable to desactivate it.

Other questions : Sounds like a mess. Any idea why some computers have a Static IP and others are Dynamic?

THIS IS MY CHOICE PREPARING THE PCs FOR A CUSTOMER BEFORE INSTALLING ON HIS NETWORK.
      I dont think that having dynamic and statics ip can cause trouble but maybe I'm wrong.

There is one dhcp running on my router. All the computers on my network use dhcp except win2012 server and the 3 computers running seven pro and a NAS which all have static ip
      theses ip are outside dhcp range. Router is 192.168.2.1 statics ip addresses are from 192.168.2.240 to 192.168.2.245 for my PCs & NAS.
      I discover this morning that my NAS from Asus was not any longer connected to the server as previously it was. i reconnect it via the Asus software to the AD of windows server.

Anyway, no change, my server still dont see the NAS in the network despite the fact I can ping the name, ping the ip and set a connection assigning a letter on it !!!??

Other computers running dhcp appear and desapperar in the network interface of Explorer.

As you say.. it sound like a mess. In the screenshot network1 attached you will see for Network (Reseau in french) the server (RAM-SARZSERVER) and 2 computers running seven pro.
      Below is the letter R attached to 192.168.2.245 on my NAS whose name is BAKCUP-RAM, name which sometime appear at the Reseau (network) level.
      VHS-4 for example is another NAS I have on my network and it suddenly appear this moning on the display !!??
      RT-pcW7-PC is another computer running seven home using dhcp connection.

Other screenshot show you the same place 2 hours after or half an hour later...

At this time I have a big doubt, because I found too many differences in the menus as described on microsoft "manuals" , other informations/ helps on the net and that I have on my Windows server 2012 R2 Essentials.
      It look like some functions never been activated on this "light" release of windows server 2012.

Many thanks again.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X