Windows DNS Server PTR record query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows DNS Server PTR record query

I'm documenting DNS as it is implemented on our network and I have a question about the Properties dialog for PTR records. We use Microsoft's DNS server (AD integrated) on two domain controllers (2008 and 2012 R2).

When you bring up the properties for an A record and you look at the FQDN field the data always reads as computername.domain.local and the IP address is shown in full. However, when looking at the FQDN entry for a PTR record, the last octet of the IP address is missing. For example, one of our servers has the IP address 192.168.0.70. The FQDN is listed as 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. This means that the FQDN for every PTR record is the same.

I know that querying the PTR record will return the full host name, and that the PTR record also lists the full 'host name' FQDN, but I am curious why the Properties dialog FQDN field omits the last octet.

Anyone know why this is?
    Last edited by Blood; 28th July 2015, 15:23. Reason: Edited for clarity....
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Hmmm, I see that when Advanced is checked in the view settings it will show as you indicate but if you uncheck Advanced it will show the proper FQDN. Not sure why it does that but 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa is definitely the zone name and not the FQDN.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ah! Thanks Jeremy. I will check this out tomorrow.

Comment

That is definitely a strange one. I have updated my documentation with the information so no one else is confused. Thanks again

Comment

No prob!
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

This is by design isn't it? The lookup actually starts from the network address rather than the usual www. Think of it being reversed, as its a reverse lookup zone

Maybe this will help you understand
            http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch3/

Comment

I agree but as Jeremy says, when the Advanced view option is turned off, the FQDN on the Properties sheet for the PTR record is shown in full as 70.0.168.192.in-addr,arpa. As you say, the reverse lookup zone that holds the PTR is 0.168.192.in-addr,arpa and that is where the lookup will start.

Comment

Working...
              X