No announcement yet.

routing my broadband traffic through two suppliers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing my broadband traffic through two suppliers

Hi I am looking after a small office network belonging to a local charity. They currently have broadband supplied by a governing body via a closed VPN as they have sensitive data passing between the office and the body. However the connection and bandwidth is not up to scratch so we want to install a superfast broadband line. We have been told by the governing body that this is OK providing all relevant secure traffic is still routed through them.
    I don't know how to do this, I suppose I need to set the default gateway to the new router then get the new router to direct all traffic for a specific range to the old router, is this something that would need to be done by the new supplier or do I need to do this myself, and if so how do I do it?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming both routers are connected to the LAN, it could just be a case of adding a static route to client computers. Your scenario of getting the new router to do it depends very much on the model of the router - high end ones would probably do it but your average ISP provided router will not
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks Osian
      Can you give me more info on how to do that please, do I need apply settings to every client machine individually and where do I make the changes?

If you have a managed switch you should be able to set a static route that directs traffic based on the IP range. You might also be able to achieve this on the router.

What is communicated over the secure link?

Ideally, you'd want to do this at the edge, rather than on each computer. So, without knowing anything about your environment, or what your interpretation of "superfast" broadband is,
          Get a Cisco 800 series with 2 WAN and 1 LAN interfaces.
          Put the current connection on WAN0 and the new connection on WAN1. Setup PBR (Policy Based Routing) to push the relevant secure traffic over WAN0, everything else defaults to WAN1
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point