Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC connecting to SMB Domain File server

Hi All,

I am currently trying to connect a MAC OSX 10.4 to a file share on my network. I run into a problem is the credentials, at the "SMB/CIFS File System Authentication" window.

Instructions on the window are "Enter the workgroup or domain and your user name and password to access the server "FILESVR1"

There are 3 fields for me to enter information, 2 of which are automatically filled in and editable.
    1) "Workgroup or Domain" which is auto filled with my domain name. (Format is ALL CAPS, and for example if my domain were MYDOMAIN1.LOCAL, just the MYDOMAIN1 is autofilled.
    2) "Name" which is auto filled with the MAC Account name - I assume i have to change this to my domain username.
    3) "Password" Left empty.
    Finally, it does offer to remember the password in the keychain.

I have tried as many combinations of the Domain name and the username as possible.
    MYDOMAIN1, MYDOMAIN1.LOCAL, WORKGROUP, BLANK
    USERNAME, MYDOMAIN1\USERNAME, [email protected]

I have attempted 2 routes to get to the server, but both bring me to the SMB/CIFS File System Authentication window.
    1) Navigating through finder through the MYDOMAIN1 FOLDER and selecting FILESVR1 and Connect.
    2) Connect to Server - SMB://IP ADDRESS

I added the MAC to the domain, and repeated my attempts, but to no avail. I have currently removed it from the domain. This seems to have no effect.

Any and all advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated!
    Thank you
    Standard

Are you positive the domain and username are correct and that you're typing the password correctly? I've connected lots of Mac's to Windows SMB/CIFS shares and have not had issues.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, I have been very careful to type it in correctly. I feel like I have tried 15 times each combination.

My thoughts are that maybe the format is incorrect. Could it be an odd format?
      I was thinking that the username could be something entirely different from windows like "\USERNAME" but i did try that to no avail. Maybe the domain name is case sensitive and I am using the wrong case? Tried all caps and all lowercase.

Still stumped

Thank you
      Standard

Comment

Also, I get different rejection messages when attempting different login methods.

1) Navigating through finder through the MYDOMAIN1 FOLDER and selecting FILESVR1 and Connect.
        MESSAGE: The alias "FILESVR1" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.
        Three Options to click on - "Delete Alias", "Fix Alias", "OK"

2) Connect to Server - SMB://IP ADDRESS
        MESSAGE: Could not connect to the server becasue the name and password is not correct
        Two Options to click on - "Try Again"(asks for credentials again), and "Cancel"

Standard

Comment

Username and domain are not case sensitive. And the format is straight forward. Use the domain's NETBIOS name.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate your time JeremyW. I had no luck again. I am not sure what the problem could be.

I am confident I used the correct credentials. I have successfully connected from multiple other MAC devices. Those devices run OSX 10.6 or later. These devices did not ask me for a Domain name, they simply had username and I would use NETBIOSNAME\USERNAME and the password
            The problem device is running OSX 10.4.

Thank you
            Standard

Comment

Could you update to the latest version of OSX? (it's free)
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

We actually need this to run OSX 10.4. Some of our files do not transfer correctly, and I wanted to test the transfer on the old MAC OSX. We have newer machines but they all lose the file extension while transferring. I know it has something to do with the older processors and older protocols.

Thank you
                Standard

Comment

Working...
                X