Subnetting trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subnetting trouble

I'm learning about subnetting and I'm doing this by making bunch of scenarios but I'm stuck.

Let's say that I was given a 192.168.10.0/24 IP to work with. My LAN needs to have 7 subnets and 350 hosts all together. What I want to do is subnet this properly and then implement VLSM to conserve as much IP's as possible.

Now, if I use 192.168.10.0/27 this will give me 7 subnets but I won't have 350 hosts. What do I need to do to make this scenario possible?

Re: Subnetting trouble

You can't unfortunately, you need to switch to either a class A or B network.
    The /27 mask on class C will give you a maximum of 8 subnets and 30 hosts each.
    See this for more: http://www.subnet-calculator.com/
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Call me daft but even using just that IP addres given you will not have 350 hosts.

/24 will give you 254 hosts in one subnet. For 350 hosts you would need to borrow a bit from the network portion this giving you a /23 subnet mask.

See the calc L4ndy has given for help.

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

Comment

Why does this sound like someone's homework?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Why does this sound like someone's homework?
          Because it is lol.

Comment

Working...
          X