Need to get rid of network bridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to get rid of network bridge

Hello. I have a network with a single DC server (Win2003R2) that also acts as a file & application server, and about 45 client PC's, printers and other peripherals. The server is in my office and all of the clients are in another building across town connected by a single T1. It's a bridge network with the server and all the clients in the same network 192.168.100.xxx. The single T1 is too slow and Qwest is putting multiple T1's and wants to use Multilink. They said I need to get rid of the bridge. With only one DC and it being the only part of the network here, what is the easiest way to to do away with bridging ? We're using static IP addressing on all of the clients and peripherals, and there is a router on each end of the T1. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Need to get rid of network bridge

Why not put the server in the same location as the clients -- if there are only a few clients in "your office" put the server with the majority, then set up a VPN back to you
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just disable bridging on the routers and enable routing. Two ip's for the wan connection. You will need to do some ip renumbering on at least one of you lan sides. An alternative to renumbering would be to use nat but that could get messy and since you dont have that many clients/servers your best bet is to just create 2 new lan subnets. Since its a point to point link then static routes on the routers will suffice. Vpn will incur some overhead and we are not even sure that your routers have a capable crypto IOS (assuming cisco devices). I would also setup dhcp. You can use reservations to give sudo/static assignments. Dont understand why Quest says you cant use bridging with ppp multilink because you can but its not recommended.
      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
      CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Good suggestions, but unless the OP comes back with a reason why it's not possible, the best suggestion seems to be moving the server to the same building as the clients. I really can't see any reason to have a server in it's own building the OP's post suggests they don't have a 300-strong fleet in a datacentre
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

He still will need to enable routing etc to get connectivity between his site and the remote site. Whether to move the server or not, thats up to him. Briding is great to extend the lan but you also have tons of broadcast going across the wan as its all one "broadcast domain". Routing is always the best solution and bridge as a last resort.

Another option to extend the lan is dot1q tunneling. Not sure if thats an option with your provider.
          Last edited by auglan; 28th July 2010, 14:15.

Comment

Thanks for all the input everybody. Moving the server to where the clients are is not an option. I personally would like to do just that and eliminate all the hassle but my employer won't allow, already discussed that. Qwest already tried to make this work with our bridged network but failed so getting rid of bridging is at their request. We have Cisco 831 routers on each end of the T1. Cisco will be handling the router configuration but I'm needing to know what I will need to do on my server. (W2k3R2). I will probably need to add a route to the Windows server but am not sure what device (router ?) the new IP route needs to point to Re-configuring the client addresses won't be that difficult and there aren't that many. Each one now has a static 192.168.100.xxx address, I just need to change them to 192.168.200.xxx leaving the address the same except for changing 100 to 200.
            . What network should the routers be in (100.x or 200.x ).Also, since the network will have both 100.x and 200.x addresses, does the subnet need to change from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 ? I'm a little green with some of this so whatever pointers you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Your lan facing interfaces on your routers should have the ip for that particular subnet and that will also be the default gateway for your clients on their respective sides.

Im assuming the server and clients are plugged into switches so a static route on both ends(on the routers) pointing to the remote network should suffice. You shouldnt need to add a route to the server as it will be a directly connected network.

Router A: (Server side)

ip route 192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0 "next hop ip address"

Router B: (Client Side)

ip route 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 "next hop ip address"

Typically you would want to use a /30 subnet (255.255.255.252) for the wan connection as you only need 2 addresses. That subnet can be anything you like as long as there isnt any overlap with the existing subnets.

Comment

thanks auglan. Yes, the clients are plugged into switches. right now, the default gateway on all clients is 100.4 the dsl modem, which is on the sever end (this end). It's on this end because there is no dsl available where the clients are. So would I just include the dsl modem address in the routers, leave the gateway on the clients as they are and not add a route to the server ?

Comment

Ok so really you only need a default route on the router on the client end: This will send all traffic over to Router A

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "next hop ip address" (Router at other site)

Then on the router on the server side add another default route: This will send all internet destined traffic to the dsl modem. Just remember to add a the static route to the client end as most specific match will win. In short any traffic going to the client side will use that static route whereas any traffic destined for the internet will use the static default route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "next hop ip address" or "outgoing interface" (DSL Modem)

ip route 192.168.200.0 0.0.0.255 "next hop ip addd" (Router B on client side)

Set the default gateway of the clients as the lan facing interface on Router B. Once packets arrive on router B it will use the static default route to get to Router A (server side). Client side has only one way out and thats Router A.
                  Last edited by auglan; 4th August 2010, 16:42.

Comment

hey thanks again auglan. That looks pretty clear. I'm going to try that tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Thanks Auglan, got that implemented like you said and it worked out fine. I have one small issue now. In "my network places" everything on this end shows up when browsing from this end, and the same thing on the other end, but you can't browse computers on that end from here, or on this end from there. Is is possible to get all computers on both ends to show up there ? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X