Two versions of Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two versions of Windows

My son uses Sky free broadband being a subscriber to them. But uses the LAN port to connect not the I Wireless of their Router and is working Windows Vista. His daughter was able to use the Wireless upstairs with Windows XP, but now is unable to use the Wireless with a new laptop with Windows 7 installed. Is there any reason the wireless connection is not possible due to using the two version of Windows

Re: Two versions of Windows

What problem is she experiencing? Based on the information we have we can't begin to diagnose the fault.

What model router do you use? Is its firmware up to date?

What wireless encryption is being used - WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc?

Wild guess... is the router a white Netgear model?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks but they do not know I have posted the problem here. I will get more info if they are interested. It just seems strange the new laptop with Win 7 using a donhle fails to connect when the little 13 year old girl was using it ok with a Desktop PC with Win XP so I understand.

Comment

That's how IT works you change something, you might break something

I had a similar problem with Windows 7 when talking to Netgear access points. No manufacturer's firmware is perfect but Netgear (the supplier used by Sky for their customer routers) tend to churn out some appallingly bad products. It's all well and good to say "this product supports WPA2", but what that actually means is "this product support's Netgear's attempt at WPA2". Microsoft also implement their own interpretation of WPA2 and so you can run into issues using a Microsoft OS with a Netgear product (for example - the same is true of any OS with any router or access point). Obviously I'm exaggerating the problem slightly. If you have a look at Netgear's site though, even for the latest firmware version for a product there'll be a decent sized list of known flaws, and some of them will (on paper at least) seem pretty fundamental.

And that's why I don't buy Netgear
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 26th July 2010, 20:12.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I must disagree with my learned colleague, I usually recommend Netgear DG834s to our customers to replace BT Home Hubs and the like. Sky put a custom firmware on the Netgear boxes that disables access to quite a lot of things, like your ADSL username and password in some cases. I've never had a problem with a DG834 with a standard Netgear firmware on it.

Anyhoo, I've seen similar things before but usually the other way round. My sister has an ancient laptop and the PCMCIA Wireless card doesn't have a driver that supports WPA, it's WEP only. I had to change her Sky modem to WEP to get it connected. If it's a dongle does it have an up to date driver that does support WPA?
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks guys. It seems the little girl and her father have solved the problem of Broadband connection now.

But your comments reminded me of a problem if I ever change my broadband to Sky being a subsciber of theirs. I understand I would be lumbered with having to use their rounter, because I believe unlike other servers, the log in details are kept secret as the router is customised for the individual user.

So how do you exctract the log in details to enable someone to use another make of router such as an Edimax AR-7084GA I bought a little while ago?

Comment

Do Sky have a package where they let you use your own router?
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks --- I bet crafty Sky do not publicise the special package so you have to ask for it. Also some while ago someone suggested the reason why my son using free Sky along with Vista can never disconnect his broadband unless he unplugs, was perhaps Sky are using his connection for some purpose of their own !!

Comment

It could possibly be argued that your username and password uniquely identify you and therefore constitute personal data. As such, the data protection act requires them to disclose the information to you upon request.

I think I'd stick with the Netgear rather than use an Edimax though
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

If you it there are loads of ways to extract the information from the Sky routers. You can also (or could with the old white DG834s) flash them back to standard Netgear firmware. We have one in the office which replaced the BT Business Hub we were provided with (Home Hub, with Home crossed out and Business written on in crayon). By BT supports own admission they are not fit for purpose, as you can't host services on multiple IPs and get the Hub to route to them.

It's things like that that make me appreciate Netgear routers. My home ISP supplies Thomson Speedtouches, mine's never even been out of the box.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

My home ISP is Virgin Media. They supply a right royal shafting.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Sky operate their "tv on demand" system as a torrent type network using bandwidth and storage on all clients connected to it -- one more reason never to touch them with anything shorter than a bargepole!
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan
                          You can also (or could with the old white DG834s) flash them back to standard Netgear firmware
                          Be aware that there are FOUR different versions of the Netgear DG834 Modem/Router and each version requires its' own Firmware.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

And that on some Netgear products, you need to know the serial number to identify which revision of the hardware you have. Which is fine if you bought the device new, but if you got it refurbished then you won't have the serial number. Not sure if you'll have it as the router was provided by Sky.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Be aware that there are FOUR different versions of the Netgear DG834 Modem/Router and each version requires its' own Firmware.
                              That's why I said white. The V1s were grey and I think the new ones are a different shape.
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X