Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic unmanaged network - comms issue

The network consists of the following:
    ISP Provided generic soho style modem. Not particularly friendly or configurable. Runs DHCP, has inbuilt Wireless. Server connected to Eth1, Switch connected to Eth2.
    TPLink Switch, gigabit, unmanaged.
    SBS 2003 Server. Runs file services. Can communicate with internet
    Workstations. Accesses files on servers, can communicate with internet. Hard wired to gigabit switch.

some time today, things started going funny.
    Computers could no longer see the server, or the internet and were not receiving DHCP addresses.
    If I plug the server into the switch, it loses internet access but cannot communicate with workstations
    If I plug a workstation into the modem, it cannot communicate with internet or server, even if everything except modem is unplugged.
    Static addressing makes no difference. (Subnets etc are all correct)
    If I put DHCP on the server and disable it on the modem, I see a computer getting an address, but I can't ping it. It doesn't appear in arp table.
    (But, I do, oddly, see another random entry appearing as "failed" with hw 00-00-00-00-00-00 and then disappearing, this goes over and over

Likely to replace the switch on Monday, but any thoughts in the interim ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

After using two Drayteks on our network and then having a cheap SOHO wireless router bring the whole network down (in my Network Down thread), I wonder if a similar thing is happening here. The closest I got to an explanation was that the SOHO router was 'shutting down a port' and that traffic on that port then failed.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Steven made a comment in the SBS Forums that DHCP MUST run on the Server otherwise it packs a sad. Those TP-Link switches are bullet proof. I have never had an unmanaged switch of theirs fail in the past 11 or 13 years. I would suggest pulling the cabling down and reassemble it from scratch.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I will take my spare draytek as well, so at least I can rule out the Telstra PoS. thanks guys
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

IME the cheap crappy modem/routers supplied by most ISPs aren't worth using as paperweights. I'd definitely consider getting DHCP onto the SBS box permanently as well - I'm pretty sure if you run the SBS Best Practice Analyser (ESSENTIAL software to have on any SBS installation IME) it'll flag that as a no-no.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

hopefully i can use it as some impetus for them to upgrade..

Comment

Andy, if you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle the bastards with bullshit.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X