IP problem for wireless client in Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP problem for wireless client in Domain

Hi, I am having a wierd problem with my wireless setup.

Windows 2003 domain server (dhcp)
    is connected to a switch and then connected to the Netgear router (dhcp on router disabled for use only as a Access Point using WPA).

My problem is that when I try to connect a client through wireless it comes up as "limited or no connectivity" but when I connect a ethernet wire to the client it gets the proper ip addresses on both the ethernet adapter and wireless adapter assigned by the dhcp server and I could then disconnect the wired line and keep on using wireless. But if I only connect through wireless initially the dhcp isn't assigning an ip address.

Anyone know a solution to this problem.

Victor
    Last edited by tmmomdy; 29th June 2010, 06:23. Reason: forget to add mail alert

Re: IP problem for wireless client in Domain

Moved to General Networking
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Does sound unusual. I would be tempted to ensure the wireless driver is the latest and try uninstalling/reinstalling. Have you tried another wireless device as well? Uninstalling will also mean you are putting the security key back in. Ensure that your wireless adapter powersave settings do not have a power save mode set. Have you also tried a repair on the wireless adapter when it is saying limited or no connectivity? You could allocate a static IP to the wireless adapter and test. Make sure you reserve it in DHCP or exclude it from the range DHCP allocates. Also, consider updating the router to the latest firmware.

Comment

Just a thought -- are you restricting MAC addresses in the WAP? if so, confirm you have the MAC of the WiFi card and not of the ethernet card.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How is the Modem connected to the Router? WAN or a LAN port?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Use wireshark on the wireless pc to see if you are getting dhcp "offer" messages from the dhcp server.
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Is the wireless on the router or a separate AP?
              MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Check the AP logs about any info on the DHCP packets, and the DHCP server logs about any related info.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Mate, where is your access point? it is connected to switch or router or it is built into router or switch? In this situation. I will first check any firewall on router or Wireless adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
                    Mate, where is your access point? it is connected to switch or router or it is built into router or switch? In this situation. I will first check any firewall on router or Wireless adapter.

Our access points are built in with routers and the model are as below:
                    BELKIN F5D8232-4 v1000
                    TRENDnet wirelessN Home Router TEW-632BRP

are connect to Locak Switch.

Comment

Disable wireless secruity and test.

It sounds like your using the wrong WPA password, as thats what my PC says when I have the incorrect password.

Wofen
                      Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                        Check the AP logs about any info on the DHCP packets, and the DHCP server logs about any related info.

Y we should check, and we will come back,
                        Thank..

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
                          Disable wireless secruity and test.

It sounds like your using the wrong WPA password, as thats what my PC says when I have the incorrect password.

Wofen
                          Y, we already tested and that was OK when we use WLAN without security..

So please advise us, how should we plan and use for WPA password.

Thank,
                          Victor

Comment

Originally posted by tmmomdy View Post
                            Y, we already tested and that was OK when we use WLAN without security..

So please advise us, how should we plan and use for WPA password.

Thank,
                            Victor

So, it works without the Secruity?
                            If thats the case, I would just confirm that all the passwords are correct, and if they are, and its still not working, drop down to WEP protection (unless its very sensitive data, then I would look at running a hardline).

If it does not work with secruity, then I'm no help, which is often the case.

Wofen
                            Good to be back....

Comment

i think wofen is spot on.

if your wireless connection worked when you did not have security enabled, and now you have enabled security it does not work, this suggests a mismatch in the way the security is configured.

The best way to approach it would be to review the manual for the wireless router,and ensure you setup a security scheme that the computer can also use.
                              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X