High Speed Broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Speed Broadband

All this ultra fast Broadband Propaganda we are continually being subjected in the advertising media of up to 8 Mps or more. Does any know just what percentage of the population is as present capable of even getting broadband faster than just 2 Mps like me. According to tests by http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php I could never get anything faster than 3 Mbps so there is no point in me paying any server for faster access.

I doubt I BT are going to spend £billions replacing millions of miles of ancient phone lines or installing closer exchanges just for the benefit of home users like me around here.

Re: High Speed Broadband

Do you happen to know if you have a copper line, or aluminium from the days of the copper shortages? Ancient copper lines can outperform more "modern" aluminium lines quite noticably

As for statistics, I would expect OFCOM to be the best body to look at, since they're meant to be the impartial party.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

your liklihood of getting faster broadband depends on a number of things.
      1. the distance between you and the exchange, as the cable runs.
      2. whether the isp has installed upgraded equipment in the exchange
      3. whether or not your modem has the appropriate codecs. (ie, my last employer, our router did not support AnnexM for faster uploads, but we got an AnnexM account anyway.)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

BT are gradually introducing Fibre, but Hastings is not on the list for this year.

More here:
        http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/zenbr...broadband.aspx

tehcamel has it right.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

i'm actually quite cheery here in London just now.
          i had 1.5Mb at home in Melbourne, paid like $AUD70 a month or something

now, wifi (and wired) is included in our rent. Unlimited internet, and I've peaked it at a full megabyte a second torrenting..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

We're on Virgin Media here on the 10Mb package. Getting roughly 0.5Mb. On a good day. If I say what I really think of them here, Daniel will ban me...

Not that I approve, but your contract with the ISP is for up to the stated speed. That's like me promising to pay you up to £1 million for a job, then giving you 25p and looking smug
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I live less than 1K from the local exchange, and I get ~18mb of the up to 24mb my ISP provides.

Sam Knows is a really good UK site for checking info on exchanges, projected speeds and local providers. Bear in mind though that these generally do not factor in contention ratios.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes I understand we are lumbered with Aluminium cable here in Hastings.

Is it true if I continue to use an old Speedtouch USB connected modem I will never get a connection faster than around 2 Mbps. But If I change to a LAN connected modem I may get a faster connection assuming my phone line is capable of handling a faster connection?

Thanks

Comment

It's true that older DSL modems have older chipsets, which don't allow them to go faster than (usually) 8Mb

An ethernet based modem WOULD remove the potential bottleneck between USB and the computer, but IIRC, USB2 is something like 480Mbps - much faster than your network interface (at 10 or 100 Mbps, possible Gbps) and infinitely faster than your ADSL connection

in my mind, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade to a lan-based rather than usb-based modem

Comment

The limiting factors will be the speed of the modem and your connection before you have to worry about the interface between the modem and computer. If your modem only supports 2Mbit (we don't know what it supports, since there are a number of SpeedTouch models), then yes you won't get faster than that.

If you mean USB, then you'd be limited to 12Mbps. If you mean USB2, then that increases to 480.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

were te speedtouches limited to 2Mb, or 8Mb ?

Comment

Thanks the back of the modem reads Thomson SpeedTouch 330 and was issued by Wanadoo before taken over by Orange. They want me to upgrade my package and install their Livebox, which I cannot be bothered unless by some miracle BT improve the lines round here in my lifetime.

Is there a chance a Thomson web site or another will know the speed limits of this old modem?

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                          Is there a chance a Thomson web site or another will know the speed limits of this old modem?
                          Uhh... ?

"speedtouch 330 speed" results suggest 4Mbps.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks I found it mentioned under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

SpeedTouch USB/SpeedTouch 330
                            An ADSL USB modem, capable of speeds up to 1Mbit up and 7Mbit down.

So there would unlikely be any point in me upgrading to another modem anytime

Comment

Probably right except for compatability issues if you upgrade your computer. SpeedTouch drivers are notorious for causing bluescreens.

Also, instead of buying a new modem, you might want to get a router instead.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X