Spoof emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoof emails

Does anyone know the address of a web site to send copies of spoof emails purporting to come from Banks and firms wrongly claiming we have ordered goods from them. Is there a site run by UK Police for this?

Instead I have just deleted them.

Re: Spoof emails

Forward them to the relevant department at the organisation they claim to come from, and also the relevant department at your anti-spam vendor if you're using an anti-spam solution.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Forward them en-mass to anyone offering you 10 million dollars if you provide your bank details.

I know ebay and paypal do take them seriously (or at least generate an auto reply) but AFAIK banks will take no notice. Police? too busy dealing with SERIOUS criminals like speeding motorists
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

HSBC look into it according to a friend who works in their IT department, although that's as much detail as I have.

Does anyone remember when that massive spam ring in China got shut down and the global email volume dropped by around 30%?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Similar thing happened when a major one was shut down in the USA. 50% drop for a month or so.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            Similar thing happened when a major one was shut down in the USA. 50% drop for a month or so.
            My brother told me he got a new job. Someone sent all of this server gear to his house and paid to have a T1 installed. I came to find out later that it was so he could send spam.

He claimed they were going to pay him $10k/month but they were just using him. He never saw a penny. He has a bunch of equipment though. What exactly he has I dunno - never saw it.
            Last edited by ahinson; 2nd July 2010, 22:06.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I was often told NEVER respond to spam at all or they know you have received and read it. Which makes a a farce of Windows Live Mail etc that offers to return it to the sender. Also I suspect the reason why I often get pestered on a Friday by spoof phone calls usually by some Indian probably from India, is because I am brave or foolish enough to allow my phone number to be shown on the RSGB site for our club.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                I was often told NEVER respond to spam at all or they know you have received and read it.
                Good advice...

Which makes a a farce of Windows Live Mail etc that offers to return it to the sender.
                ... but if you think about it, it's so ridiculously cheap to try to send an email, rather than having someone take the tme to remove defunct addresses from the database. So it's highly unlikely that the spam rings clear out their database particularly often.

Also I suspect the reason why I often get pestered on a Friday by spoof phone calls usually by some Indian probably from India, is because I am brave or foolish enough to allow my phone number to be shown on the RSGB site for our club.
                Why don't you obfuscate it the same way that you would with an email address, so that it isn't picked up by robots matching against a regular expression? Posting an email address or phone number in the correct format on the Internet is an open invitation for spam.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

OK but how do you suggest the RSGB solves the problem of wanting to use the standard Internet Explorer way of quick access and display of phone numbers per below?

http://www.rsgb.org/local/clubinfo/c...p?id=10&end=11

Gordon

Comment

Don't see anything except plain text phone numbers.
                    You don't by any chance have Skype installed, do you -- it does wierd things with flags and clickable links
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Quite right I do have Skype and Windows Messenger though I have never found anyone able to accept sound and or vision with the lattter without it showing the silly message one of us has the wrong version.

I wondered why all phone numbers were suddenly live active. Even so the numbers still show for spammers at the RSGB site !

Comment

I also see only plaintext. Since they're only available as links to you because you have Skype installed, rather than by design of the website, you could easily modify the format of the numbers on the website so that they would not pass a regex test, but would still be easily recognisable to a human.

I also notice that email addresses are shown in plaintext and valid format...
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Just changing zero to a capital O would probably do the trick
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Yes I am afraid in their keen attempts of encourage Amateur Radio the RSGB does take risks like the way they encourage us to include all such inforamtion about EVERY member on our club web sites they host at

http://www.radioclubs.net/

Comment

Hopefully ensuring that members agree to having their details shared first?

I'm not saying you shouldn't publish these details, what I'm saying is that it would be better to make a small change to the format so that they can't be read by robots.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X