Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowness of network and machine performance - XP and Vista

Hi Everyone,

I need help with a strange random problem. i noticed that some computers on my domain are real slow to log in or even sometimes open files.

One XP machine takes ages to come to the CTRL ALT DEL screen and if you get there windows is slow to open things, you can open my computer for example and wait. but if you pul out the network cable it works snappy and all is 100% ok.

Some people have this in Vista where excel files is slow or PDF's to open.

Does anyone know what the problem can be or the cause of it?

regards
    Gerrit

Re: Slowness

Originally posted by gerritv View Post
    Does anyone know what the problem can be or the cause of it?
    Based on the amount of detail you've given us, it's probably that you're too far away from the power station, so your voltage isn't high enough. Try putting the computers on the floor below the power sockets so the electricity doesn't have to climb up the power cord.

Alternatively... give us FULL details and then maybe someone can help you.

What have you tried? What patterns can you identify? What do your diagnostics and error logs show?

With the detail we have, how can we possibly begin to determine what the cause of the problem is?

http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=47
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Slowness

Are these computers a part of the the domain?

Do you experience any DNS issues?
      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Re: Slowness of network and machine performance - XP and Vista

Well the first thing I would check is your switches. Not sure if you run managed switches or not but verify your trunks are operational and also verify you are loop free. Are you segmenting with vlans? If you running a flat layer2 network on one vlan remember all broadcasts will be heard by anyone in that vlan. Look for excessive spannning tree calculations which could be a result of loops, flapping links etc.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X