Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I access my modem's admin interface on different subnet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I access my modem's admin interface on different subnet?

I have an Netcomm NB6 ADSL2+ modem which provides an admin interface on 192.168.1.1. Unfortunately my LAN is 192.168.0.0 so I have no way of accessing the admin pages to manage the modem. I have a linux server which acts as an internet gateway/firewall/general linux server and has two NICs.

My setup is as follows:
    Internal LAN is 192.168.0.0. PCs are on this LAN.
    Internet gateway/firewall/general linux server has two NICs:
    - eth0 - 192.168.0.254 - connected to internal LAN via switch.
    - eth1 - no IP address as it's in bridge mode connected to ADSL2+ modem.
    ADSL2+ modem has 2 interfaces:
    - ethernet cable connection to eth1 on llinux server. Admin pages listen on 192.168.1.1.
    - ppp0 is the interface to the internet and gets a dynamically allocated IP address from my ISP.

What I would like is have a setup where I can access the modem's administration pages on 192.168.1.1 from a PC on the 192.168.0.0 LAN.

Does anyone know how can I do this?

Re: How can I access my modem's admin interface on different subnet?

add a virtual ip to eth1
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      add a virtual ip to eth1
      Thank you for your reply. I have set up eth1:0 to have IP address 192.168.1.100 and the modem's address is 192.168.1.1. My PCs are on 192.168.0.0. However, I'm not really sure how to set up a route to the modem from my PC; I've never used the route command except perhaps to set up a default gateway which is what most of the online examples seem to be.

I tried this:
      # route add -host 192.168.1.1 gw 192.168.1.100

But when I try to ping the modem I get this, so I obviously haven't quite understood what I'm doing here:
      From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

Could someone please help me out with setting this route up?

Comment

I may have missed something, but if your Linux box was already setup as a gateway, I don't see why you would need to add a route - could you not ping the modem before setting one up?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          I may have missed something, but if your Linux box was already setup as a gateway, I don't see why you would need to add a route - could you not ping the modem before setting one up?
          I could ping the public interface of the modem that is connected to my ISP, but I couldn't ping the modem's management interface on 192.168.1.1. Remember the PCs on my LAN are on 192.168.0.0 so if I want to access a machine on 192.168.1.0 I thought I have to set up a manual route. Perhaps not, but either way I can't get to 192.168.1.1 from any of the PCs on my LAN. However, I know absolutely nothing about setting up manual routes so I'm in well over my head here.

Comment

I would try to simplify the configuration. I would change your modem into a bridge unless you absolutely have to have it this way. Let your gateway handle the layer 3 stuff.
            MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Originally posted by boondock View Post
              I would try to simplify the configuration. I would change your modem into a bridge unless you absolutely have to have it this way. Let your gateway handle the layer 3 stuff.
              The modem is already bridged. The problem I have at the moment is that I can't access the modem's administration interface from my LAN. So if I want to see some of the modem stats I can't actually do that which is a bit of a pain. So what I'm trying to find out in this thread is how to see the modem on 192.168.1.1 from PCs on 192.168.0.0/24.

So far I have set up a virtual interface eth1:0 which has IP address 192.168.1.100. And now I think I need to set up a route to 192.168.1.1 but I don't know how to do that.

Comment

If your getting unreachable messages from 192.168.1.0 then that means 192.168.1.1 has no route back to your subnet. You would need a static route to the 192.168.0.0 subnet to tell 192.168.1.0 how to route return traffic to you. Any reason not to change the admin page and put it on the 192.168.0.0 subnet. It should let you do that.
                Last edited by auglan; 17th June 2010, 13:56.
                CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
                CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
                X