Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router/BW for Multiple VOIP Calls

Hi All,

I am new to VOIP related technology & needs experts advise .
    Currently, my company is planning to set up site-to-site VPN which will mainly passing VOIP calls between sites.

Could any one help me to find the appropriate bandwidth requirement & type of internet connection (DSL or E1) for maximum simultaneous 50 to 60 VOIP calls(Using G.729 codecs)

Also, what sort of router should be OK for such requirement.
    Is simple DSL connection with Netgear VPN router(FVS318/338 ) can meet the needs?

Regards,
    Sandip
    Last edited by Wired; 5th June 2010, 06:54. Reason: added space to negate smiley

Re: Router/BW for Multiple VOIP Calls

What do you call a simple xDSL connection? To me, a simple xDSL connection is 256kb.

Check to make sure the Netgear device has QoS.
    VoIP Bandwith Calculator. http://www.bandcalc.com/
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

Many Thanks for Calculator.It made my job easy.

I mean by DSL is like ADSL, ADSL2+ etc. Whether such ADSL2+ or other DSL (which are shared among several users) can will give me always the required upload speed which is around 1Mbps for 60 channels, or do I need dedicated E1 1:1 bandwidth.

Netgear supports QOS as per specs. But does it matter when only VOIP traffic is going to be passed thro the link.

Regards,
      Sandip

Comment

Currently, my company is planning to set up site-to-site VPN which will mainly passing VOIP calls between sites.
        Seemed to indicate that is would also be used for Net access as well.

If the Upload speed is going to be sufficient then you may not need the E1. We have ADSL2+ here in OZ and some ISP have an Annex M mode. This gives you a 3mbps upload bandwidth instead of the usual 1mbps. Annex M makes a big bandwidth difference.

therefore, you need to make sure your upload speed is going to be sufficient. I think when I checked the calculator I used 55 as the number and it required 1.3mbps. If you require all 60 users to be on at the same time then having minimum bandwith IS going to cause issues. I worked briefly at a site that used VoIP for their HelpDesk and they didn't have suficient bandwidth. It was a bloody pain.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not only do you need the required bandwidth for the voice stream but dont forget you need to reserve bandwidth for your control traffic as well. Also you have to consider the delay over the circuit as well. Cisco recommends a delay of no more than 150ms round trip. What type of call agent are you using? Then you have to consider the overhead of the vpn as well which will use some of your bandwidth on the link. Varying upload and download speeds are going to be an issue as well. More than likely with a slower upload speed you will experience jitter and delay. You need a constant bandwidth in both directions.
          CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
          CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
          X