Clear All

• Sever Roles

I need to have the following things for a small office:

Domain Controller
    DNS
    DHCP
    VPN
    WSUS

I only have one server however. I know it's not the best scenerio but how bad is putting DHCP or VPN on a domain controller. This office is a very small company and no funds for a second server.

Is there a different way if this is really not a good idea... Please help.

Re: Sever Roles

Small Business Server or also called SBS?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I should have mentioned that we have Server 2008 Standard. I wish I would have purchased SBS but that's a done deal.

Comment

Let me also state my goal... that may help.

I have a HP ML150 Server, Server 2008 Standard, DSL modem, ASUS router (with DDWRT).

I am trying to set up a server in a small office and want to also be able to easily remote in using a vnc product.

Port forwarding has seemed like a headache and I thought by setting up a VPN it may be easier / better.

I know there are programs out there you can pay to use (teamviewer, logmein, etc.) but I don't have the budget and also would not be real thrilled to have to share my password with their servers to connect.

So, realizing the small budget, what is my best solution? I guess I can just set up port forwarding and use DHCP on the router...

Looking for some direction.

Comment

DHCP isn't the issue.... VPN is more the issue.
          I don't say it can't be done, but from a security perspective I'm not really fond of it.
          Usually a good firewall would be used to terminate VPN, for example Check Point, ASA, ISA, Juniper and so on.
          However you can do it with RRAS. HOwever you are talking about port forwarding, which ports do you need to forward?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

When using VNC from the cloud, I would need to foward to the appropriate internal computer.

Ie: port 5801 may be 192.168.1.10
            5802 may be 192.168.1.11

It's to allow me to VNC behind NAT.

Comment

I guess if I do it on a 2nd box I would need a second IP, which costs more money from my ISP... so I guess I am stuck with putting it on my DC... can you please give me at least an idea of how much I 'am hanging my junk out there' by doing this...

Comment

What kind of router do you have? Even if you have a dinky LinkSys, it can handle DD-WRT which has a built-in VPN option. I'm not personally too worried about having a VPN on a DC, but maybe I live dangerously. It's one port open to the public, so keep the server patched, but you should be doing that anyway. You can make the firewall only accept incoming VPN connections from your home/office IP for even more security.

Another option is to make just a simple workstation in the office the VPN endpoint and port forward the VPN ports to it. Windows XP can be used to terminate up to 10 PPTP VPN connections as per this article (yes, it's legal; MSFT did this by deisgn): http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I have an Asus RT-N16 with ddwrt on it and spent about 8 hours yesterday trying to figure it out.

Comment

What dd-wrt image did you put on it?
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) mega
                      (SVN revision 14311)

Comment

Sweet! The mega image has it all.

The way I see it, you have two options. Use the OpenVPN server on the router or the PPTP VPN server on the router. Have you checked these help documents for the usage of the OpenVPN portion of the PPTP Server portion? Actually, that PPTP VPN help file is for something a little different than just a simple client/server setup. It's for an actual static connection if your home router is connected directly to the VPN. I suppose you could do it that way...
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Tried OpenVPN last night (for about 7 hours), can't seem to get it to work. PPTP looks more straight forward, maybe I'll play with that for a while.

Comment

ddwrt - built in PPTP VPN works like a CHAMP! Easy easy... Thanks!!!!!

Comment

If you tell us what seemed to snarl the process up then maybe we could help you poke at it.
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X