X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 gateways,one network

Hi friends,

Need your help and valued expertise on this matter.Here's the situation:

One company got 2 site offices(Site A and Site B).Both are linked with point to point lease line,same ip scheme on both sites.Site A is the main site which has a DC and an internet gateway router(192.168.1.1).Site B has another internet gateway router(192.168.1.2).Both sites gets its dhcp from Site A DC.

The question is,how can I set from DHCP so that sites will use the closest internet gateway?Site A will use 192.168.1.1 gateway and Site B will use 192.168.1.2 gateway.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Re: 2 gateways,one network

Setup DHCP in both offices for the local subnet. I wouldn't want any extra traffic crossing the WAN link personally. If the link goes down clients in Site B won't be able to get a DHCP address. AD Sites and Services picks a local DC by IP address, so you could have clients in Site B authenticating to Site A if there is a shared IP range.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you cruachan for your reply.

I'm not sure if that the answer that i seek however.It's just that i want to set automatically via dhcp so that site B will use the gateway on their site and site A will use the gateway on their site.In dhcp we could configure the scopes for router,which settings could I do so that I could achieve the needed results.

Thank you all for your contibutions

Comment

I would like to say, that by the title of this thread I was expecting to have to report it for abuse.

Moving on...
        Originally posted by jinsatoemo View Post
        I'm not sure if that the answer that i seek however.It's just that i want to set automatically via dhcp so that site B will use the gateway on their site and site A will use the gateway on their site.In dhcp we could configure the scopes for router,which settings could I do so that I could achieve the needed results.
        The only solution I can see is to make DHCP reservations for each device in at least one subnet and give them the gateway for your desired router.

I think an easier option would be to make two separate subnets, but that's just me.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Depending on how much admin you want to keep up with vs growth in Site B, if you don't want deal with reserved addresses on those clients, you could always use the 'DHCP User Class' option in your scope.

Check out M-Soft's link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...99(WS.10).aspx to begin.

In a nutshell, define the user class and the options you want (like a different gateway than other users) on the DHCP server, create a GPO for a script to run which sets the 'ipconfig /setclassid' to a value matching what you set in the scope option, then make the users in Site B members of that group. When they log in, their DHCP settings should point them to the alternate gateway.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X