network issue??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network issue??

I have a computer with a wireless network card and a LAN card. The wireless is for the internet and the LAN is to connect to the network printer. The problem is if i want to use the internet i have to disable the LAN for it to connect but if i want to use the printer i can keep the wireless connected just enable the LAN.

The router is on 10.1.1.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0

Im dont know which settings to put in the ip setup on the network cards or printer.

Help would be cool.

Cheers, Dave.

Re: network issue??

OK, try this:
    Check the IP address the WiFi card gets by running a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG

Lets say its 10.1.1.2

Choose two free IP addresses starting with 10.1.1 (.3 and .4 for example, but not .1 and whatever your WiFi has)

Put one into the network card with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and no gateway
    Put the other into the printer with the same subnet and again no gateway

From your PC, check you can PING the printer IP (e.g. 10.1.1.4)

Let us know how you get on

Question -- how does the printer connect to the PC -- is it via a switch or using a crossover cable?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I did try what you said and it still didn't work but then i just figured why not put the printer and the LAN card on a 192.168.1.x and its all good now.

Thanks though.

Comment

Where did 192.168.1.x come from? It wasn't mentioned in your first post.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think he put his lan card and the printer on a separate (non routed) subnet
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes put on a separate sub-net. All works now

Comment

Working...
            X