Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Switch - Exist ?

Hello everybody.

My name is Michael and I'm an IT manager in a medium company.

I need to setup a temporary wireless communication between two buildings.

I want to use this router http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=487&sec=0

In the fisrt building I'm gonna to setup this router and in building number
    two I need to connect one PC and two network printers.
    How can I do it wirelessly ??
    Is there somewhere a wireless switch which can recieve the router's signal ??
    Thank you very much.

Michael.

Re: Wireless Switch - Exist ?

You need a Wireless Access Point in Bridge Mode
    Basically it can connect two LANs together over WiFi
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What is the distance between the 2 buildings? While x.11n gives you more bandwidth, it also drops off the greater the range.
      Originally posted by From D-Link Page
      The D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Router (DIR-635) is a draft 802.11n compliant device that delivers real world performance of up to 650% faster and 5x farther than an 802.11g wireless connection while remaining compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b devices*.
      Be wary of the wording. This gives the impression that it gives you 5x the distance of an .11g device. I do not believe this to be correct. I read it as it will give you 5x the range of an .11g when this device is in .11g mode.

If you do as Ossain suggest and use Bridge Mode, then you will need 2 of the devices and I would suggest you place them in a windows to get best line of sight an signal strength. A YAGI antenna on each device can also increase the range since the signal is directed in a specific direction instead of everywhere as is the case the onmidirectional antenna that is supplied with the device you linked to.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dont forget the Pringles option
        http://www.cantenna.com/
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The distance is about 90-100 meters.

The distance is not an issue here.
          My problem is to connect three network devices (one PC and two printers) in building number two.

Comment

Distance IS an issue since most WiFi will fall over beyond c. 50metres

Do you have a direct line of sight from one building to another?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Distance IS an issue since most WiFi will fall over beyond c. 50metres

Do you have a direct line of sight from one building to another?

Yes I have a direct line of sight between the two buildings.
              I said that the distance is not an issue cause I can connect router and access point to increase the range.

My question is how to connect 3 network devices on the other side ?
              Lets say I have a wireless network to building number two.
              Last edited by miller84; 20th May 2010, 14:09.

Comment

Two options (one of which has already been mentioned)

Wireless bridge:
                This will connect two network segments wirelessly. So one bridge is connected to the switch at the main location and is configured to communicate to the other bridge. The other bridge is connected to a switch at the remote location. This bridge connects the two network segments so that it is part of the same broadcast domain. You then plug your computer and printers into the switch at the remote location and they can communicate with the main location. (it's as if all devices are connected to the same switch)

Wireless repeater:
                This is where you have an AP at the main location and then put in a repeater to pickup the AP's signal and "repeat" it so that the range is extended. You can then connect wireless devices from a further distance because they are connecting to the repeater which connects to the AP.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

[QUOTE=JeremyW;204683]Two options (one of which has already been mentioned)

Wireless bridge:
                  This will connect two network segments wirelessly. So one bridge is connected to the switch at the main location and is configured to communicate to the other bridge. The other bridge is connected to a switch at the remote location.

Can you give me an example to bridge that connects to swich ??
                  I couldn't fing that king of equipment.
                  All I can think of is two routers but I know that two routers cannot work as brigde (or cannot work good).

Comment

Have you tried ?
                    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=wireless+bridge

Here is one example of many:
                    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=376

Every major company that makes AP also makes wireless bridges afaik.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Search for "Wireless Access Point" -- basically the WiFi side of a router
                      For example: Netgear WN802T, 3Com WL525 (these are the only ones I have within reach -- there are many others)
                      Many WAPs have a bridge mode too
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Hmmm 90-100 meters... Great distance.
                        I would get an internet feed and use a site-to-site VPN. I don't think this will work with just some WIFI access points. Also performance might degrade and in the end it even might cost more.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

How about a Woktenna? :http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
                          With a range of 3-5 Km! I'll be happy to give up my special fried rice
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by miller84
                            Yes I have a direct line of sight between the two buildings.
                            I said that the distance is not an issue cause I can connect router and access point to increase the range.
                            Ossain has said distance is an issue, Dumber has remarked on the disatance and I join the growing chorus that distance here IS an issue.

I find it hard to believe that an IT Manager in a medium company is having so much trouble understanding the information that has been so far provided and being unable to use to find out what is required.

Did you try typing bridge mode into Google and see what it threw up?

Make a drawing of the building 2 setup and how you think it should work. Save the drawing as a JPG an upload it to your next post. From there further suggestions can be made.
                            Last edited by biggles77; 21st May 2010, 14:33. Reason: Fix quote
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Wireless Swich - Exist ?

Guys, thank you very much for your help but I already know about access points and etc...

I don't think you understood my question. Maybe I didn't explain myself in a right way...

Let's say I have a wireless infrastructure, how can I connect my 3 network devices ???
                              I need to connect them with RJ45 !!
                              Not wirelessly !!
                              If I place an access point in building number two how will I connect my devices ???

I thought there is some access point that you can connect to a swich or something... AP will recieve router's signal from building 1 and transfer it to a swich placed in building number 2. That way I can connect my devices to the swich.

I understand that my only option is to look for a router that can work in bridge mode ??

Comment

Working...
                              X