Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap wireless setup required

Hi all

We are looking at going wireless at the college where I work. But want to do it on the cheap! Looking at these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tails#features

or something like this:

http://www.jbosolutions.co.uk/cisco-...r-p-30602.html

If we bought 15 of these, set them up with the same SSID and same encryption and same keys etc... would it work? Would a user be able to roam from AP to AP seamlessly?

And also I assume they would be happy to run 24/7? We do have some old Cisco 1200 AP's but we feel they don't really offer much more than a cheaper AP. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by tonyyeb; 14th May 2010, 17:39.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Cheap wireless setup required

Well you get what you pay for. Those 1200's are good AP's and very configurable (IE security, multiple vlans, multiple ssid's, authentication, remote administration, snmp etc) They also offer different antenna's to fit a certain installation. If you have them I would use them. Granted they probably only support up to G but still a good unit. The issue is configuration isnt that straight forward but they do have a web based configuration tool to make it a little easier. You could also view the configuration guide for them on Cisco's website. I checked the first link and in my opinion those are great for the home user not for a business or school environment.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

We had a similar setup with Aironet 1300, we had enough of them to cover the whole campus internally with only a couple of blindspots. Outside area was just covered by RF leakage as we didn't have external antenas.
      We could roam fine and everything was seamless.
      The only disadvantage was the administration of the WAPs, I had to manage each one separately. The cost of the whole Wlan was only that of the WAPs and it ticked just fine for a long time.
      Somehow, someone decided to make the whole thing "Enterprise" by spending loads of doh and putting a controller in the background. As far as performance is concerned, nothing changed appart from the budget.
      Point am trying to make is that it can be done without burning a whole.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

But the point is that if you set multiple AP's up with the same SSID and encryption keys a user should be able to roam between seamlessly?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
          But the point is that if you set multiple AP's up with the same SSID and encryption keys a user should be able to roam between seamlessly?
          Yes, this is what am saying as well. That's how I had it setup.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yeah thats how I have it setup in our corporate office. Works pretty well again you will find some dead spots but other than that we have no issues. I tried to convince my manager to buy a wireless lan controller to have a point of central administration. The benefit of the controller is no configuration is done on the AP everything is done on the controller. Its an expensive option though and they couldnt justify it.

Also if you want to keep the wireless lan seperate from your internal lan you can always policy route the wireless traffic. Thats what we do. We also use a bluesocket wireless appliance for authentication. So when the user connects they are redirected to a web page and they are required to login to wireless. The policy routing forces the traffic to take the path straight to the bluesocket.
            Last edited by auglan; 14th May 2010, 22:21.
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
            X